Cost payback Chiller vs DX

What are your thoughts as to when it might be more economical to go with a small chiller vs DX units for an office. 20, 30, 40 tons etc? We are talking about in the humid South.
    Last edited by glennac; 10-27-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Depends, water cooled or air cooled condenser on either. Water cooled is more efficent, but cost more in appliances (tower and condenser pump)
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Do a search for a trade mag called Engineered systems. Last year they wrote an excellent article about just such a thing, and gave real world calculations you could use to help your quandry.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Do a search for a trade mag called Engineered systems. Last year they wrote an excellent article about just such a thing, and gave real world calculations you could use to help your quandry.
    Great magazine, thanks for cluing me into that site. However I could not find the article in the archives for 2007 and I checked every month. Could you be a little for specific as too what year it was.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Great magazine, thanks for cluing me into that site. However I could not find the article in the archives for 2007 and I checked every month. Could you be a little for specific as too what year it was.
    the magazine is top notch. the article that i believe flange was refering to was from April of 2008 (seemed like it was from last year for me too!). the article that i am refering to though (it may be different) is air cooled versus water cooled instead of your question on DX versus chilled water.

every area is going to be different...and your level of expertise (or whoever is going to maintain it) may be the main factor. when going to chilled water, which is almost always more economical long term, the equipment gets much more sophisticated and complex as well as the system itself. if the maintanance team is not comfortable with this level, then go with DX. a properly running and maintained DX will out-perform a poorly maintained chiller any day.

good luck.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!