Question Carrier Infinity Heat Pump & Oil Furnace

New to this forum and hoping someone can answer this because the different dealers/contractors have different opinions.

Live in Northern Virginia and replacing a 30+ year ac and oil furnace with Carrier heat pump and Carrier oil furnace (no gas in subdivision). Question: Can you and is it advisable to pair the Carrier Infinity Heat Pump with oil furnace. One dealer states no due to costs vs value, as well as not designed to work together. Another dealer states yes and will receive all benefits of the dual-stage Infinity vs single stage.

Help!

Yes, you can pair a heat pump with an oil furnace. It sounds to me that the first contractor was talking about the value of oil vs electric back-up heat. Depending on the design temp of your system, electric heat may be the same cost of oil heat, depending on your electrical rates and installation of a heat pump w/electric back-up would be a lot cheaper as far as equipment costs. I would do a cost comparison of oil vs electric. As for the compatability issue, I am not a Carrier installer for residential systems, but I can't beleive that it wouldn't be feasable.

big johnson,

Thanks for the quick response. It was particularily the Infinity model heat pump with oil furnance. Something about pairing Infinity heat pump to Infinity furnance to take full advantage of the paired system. Infinity with non-Infinity is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by ctk2651 View Post
    big johnson,

Thanks for the quick response. It was particularily the Infinity model heat pump with oil furnance. Something about pairing Infinity heat pump to Infinity furnance to take full advantage of the paired system. Infinity with non-Infinity is the question.
    Than I would say it's in the control scheme that makes it difficult to cross brands. Not saying it can't be done, but cosly, I'm sure.