Filter for Bryant FV4B Handler

Seems that stock filter is a washable filter in metal frame that measures somewhat larger than standard paper 16X20X1 paper filter. Is it possible to use replaceable paper filter or must I somehow insert the paper filter in the metal frame?

As long as the disposable filter fits and stays in the filter rack with the blower on high speed, there is no reason you can't use one. You shouldn't have to fit the filter into a frame now-a-days.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

That is the problem. Not quite large enough to stay in place so has a tendency to buckle as air handler ramps up.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    That is the problem. Not quite large enough to stay in place so has a tendency to buckle as air handler ramps up.
    Plus you'll "bypass" some air around the filter.

Custom oder throw aways,use the factory filter,or better yet get a 4 or 5" thick pleated filter.Have the static tested before getting any "better" filter.

I would love to use 4 or 5 inch box filter but that would require some sheet metal work and not sure I have enough room between bottom of air handler and top of water heater to make that happen. This is a condo utility closet install.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    I would love to use 4 or 5 inch box filter but that would require some sheet metal work and not sure I have enough room between bottom of air handler and top of water heater to make that happen. This is a condo utility closet install.
    How about a 2" pleated filter,added to the exterior of the air handler?

Something to consider. May just be enough room to do that. This is a vertical installation so filter is at bottom and water heater just below. I will check that out.