Abundance of leaky evaporators in package units

Has anyone seen a load of leaky evap coils from ICP models:PH55,PA55 (2-5tons) and PGF (2-5tons)...Years 2000 thru 2004??...over 400 replaced in last 3 years. Some replacement coils have had issues also!anyone else?thanks for any feedback

No first hand experience with the referenced units but evaporator coils leaks are currently a problem for the industry.

Yep, nothing but troubles with those units, enough to make me not use any ICP products again. A number of years ago, I was at the supply house, and opened up six or eight,five ton condensing unit boxes, looking for a coil that didn't have the fins bent over. Couldn't find ONE. So, it was time to look for another brand. Couldn't tell you if they've ever got it right. In their defense, ICP did pay for the crane, and a little bit of labor but, the units I had to replace were only a matter of days in operation.

Yeah its kinda hard to charge a customer for a warranty coil replacement (labor and refrigerant) when its the 4th coil in 4 years! ICP will not even respond to our request for labor credit! Just lies from local distributor and warranty parts.

Those fine coils wouldn't be made south of the border now would they?
    Old, Bald and Cranky

They come in boxes with carrier logo on them.Don't know place of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaug1 View Post
    Those fine coils wouldn't be made south of the border now would they?
    They could be made on the Moon, they still leak. I demanded new units, and got them. Probably, only a handful of contractors got that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by kokinhvac View Post
    Yeah its kinda hard to charge a customer for a warranty coil replacement (labor and refrigerant) when its the 4th coil in 4 years! ICP will not even respond to our request for labor credit! Just lies from local distributor and warranty parts.
    What's your plan "B" for when the warranty is up? Surprised they haven't tried to pull the old "improper installation" BS on you.

Sounds like a nightmare..4 coils damn. I agree with you I'd be demanding new units. No way to recover all the lost labor and material either. Even worse is the customer confidence damage. Tough to keep the peace, balance the p&l and save face when working with quality control issues.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    They could be made on the Moon, they still leak. I demanded new units, and got them. Probably, only a handful of contractors got that lucky.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by jdaug1 View Post
    Sounds like a nightmare..4 coils damn. I agree with you I'd be demanding new units. No way to recover all the lost labor and material either. Even worse is the customer confidence damage. Tough to keep the peace, balance the p&l and save face when working with quality control issues.
    The up side to that job was, it was easy to "fire" that customer. They tried final out the job before they paid me my last draw. One quick call to the inspection department, and to that inspector who handled that area, and the final was not a final, for more than an hour or two.

Good to be in grace with the inspectors

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    The up side to that job was, it was easy to "fire" that customer. They tried final out the job before they paid me my last draw. One quick call to the inspection department, and to that inspector who handled that area, and the final was not a final, for more than an hour or two.
    Old, Bald and Cranky