+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any lunch bag tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

any lunch bag tips?

lately ive been packing my own lunch, mostly sandwiches, since i work in the supermarkets i buy turkey coldcuts however its getting kind of boring, does any one have any sandwich recipes like mixing up certain cold cuts, adding some flavor like special mustards, different breads, anything that you could provide. sandwiches that taste good and are healthy, I have to drop a bunch of weight man, i am 270 and starting to feel these strange pains around my heart area. I dont think this is good at the age of 31. thx.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Post Likes
    Same thing here with the brown bag syndrome as I call it. I try to mix up the bread with marble rye's, wheat, and multi grain. Try some brand name "dip n good" mustard or some "koop's" to spice it up a little. Peppers make a good sandwich better to me but either you love em or hate em. Far as the weight loss goes I switched to bananas for breakfast and some yogurt dropped 13lbs in a month. Even switched to diet root beer....ugh,Ripe age of 33 myself and down to 230ish.

Post Likes
    I'd suggest adding fresh veggies like baby carrots, sliced cucumber pieces, fruit like apples, pears and oranges. The fiber will help fill you up and lots of water in them for hydration.
    A chicken salad or baked chicken breast sandwitch is a nice change for the tastebuds and well as tuna salad on whole wheat. Just go easy on the mayo when you mix it. Best of luck on your health choices bro.

One of my lodge brothers was just diagnosed with prediabetes. He's taking it serious. No more french fries, white rice, potato chips or fried anything.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Post Likes
    I would suggest staying away from sandwiches and breads to lose weight.

And I would also suggest visiting your physician and going in for regular checkups.

Anyhow..... stay away from sandwiches..... think about making some salads or something....and not 10,000 calorie taco salads.... but something like a salad with some cut up ham or chicken in it....light on the dressing.....

maybe some fruits and stuff....

Bread will kill any diet.....

Soups.....get you a thermos and make you some soup for work.... soup and some crackers in the winter would be a good hearty lunch

Most importantly.....if you are overweight and having chest pain....go see a doctor.... heart attack.... high blood pressure ....adult diabetes....you need a doctor looking out for you.

good luck losing weight..... stay away from sodas......and little debbie snack cakes...

Post Likes
    grill some chicken or bring leftovers from the night before and microwave them

Post Likes
    I'm with Corny, make soup for a change. I for one like white chili ( made with turkey or chicken and navy beans) Not only does it fill you up but is better than the same old sandwich. Crackers made of whole wheat and fruit as well. Take care of yourself for Life Is To Short ..
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    I'm with Corny, make soup for a change. I for one like white chili ( made with turkey or chicken and navy beans) Not only does it fill you up but is better than the same old sandwich. Crackers made of whole wheat and fruit as well. Take care of yourself for Life Is To Short ..

I agree with "The Chick".

Soup or chilli or salad for a change of pace (this is from someone who eats sandwiches every day for lunch, and loves 'em).

Take care.

Post Likes
    At one time I had a small soft sided cooler that has a compartment in the lid. I packed the bread in there and the sandwhich meat in the cooler part. Then I got those restaurant style condiment packs. Anyway I liked the sandwhiches a lot better if I made them fresh just before I ate them. Bread does not get soggy, but they still get old.

google glycemic load diet. it's based on a similar concept as atkins but you can eat everything, bread, fruits, vegatables, its a goiod diet and the concept really makes sense to any ac tech. basically it says foods that elevate your blood sugar fast make you fat, so processed flour or sugar does that but for say carrots, you have to eat a pound to elevate your blood sugar to the same extent as a snickers bar, so eat carrots!, Atkins bans carrots, as you may know. It's a great diet and really works, but that doesn't mean oreo's and doritos still don't call your name! damn I'm like a crack head for nacho flavored doritos.

good luck and yes go see a doctor about your chest pains. Sometimes you can get a false heart attack due to spasms of your esophogus, now don't write off your pains to that, but if that is what it is find out with a doctors visit and not a trip to the emergency room in a panic your about to die, with an over night stay and expensive tests! been there got the t-shirt!

Post Likes
    Thanks Pneuma,

That is an interesting link on the Glycemic load diet.There goes my normal sunday breakfast of pancakes. I had no idea they and rasin bran were high in glycemic content.
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/glycemic-load-diet

John

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    At one time I had a small soft sided cooler that has a compartment in the lid. I packed the bread in there and the sandwhich meat in the cooler part. Then I got those restaurant style condiment packs. Anyway I liked the sandwhiches a lot better if I made them fresh just before I ate them. Bread does not get soggy, but they still get old.

google glycemic load diet. it's based on a similar concept as atkins but you can eat everything, bread, fruits, vegatables, its a goiod diet and the concept really makes sense to any ac tech. basically it says foods that elevate your blood sugar fast make you fat, so processed flour or sugar does that but for say carrots, you have to eat a pound to elevate your blood sugar to the same extent as a snickers bar, so eat carrots!, Atkins bans carrots, as you may know. It's a great diet and really works, but that doesn't mean oreo's and doritos still don't call your name! damn I'm like a crack head for nacho flavored doritos.

good luck and yes go see a doctor about your chest pains. Sometimes you can get a false heart attack due to spasms of your esophogus, now don't write off your pains to that, but if that is what it is find out with a doctors visit and not a trip to the emergency room in a panic your about to die, with an over night stay and expensive tests! been there got the t-shirt!
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Post Likes
    Hello.
    How about getting a bread machine. This way you can have different flavors in your sandwich while staying away from the less healthy cold cuts. When I take a sandwich I keep the meat in one sandwich bag, the veggies in another, and then put it all together at lunch time.

Also, I did the hospital thing at 37 for chest pain. I can tell you the damage is always permanent. You think an awful lot about your family as you're looking at the ceiling. The sooner you can work on the problem the better in the long run. I'd like to say I've solved it through diet and exercise, but not the case. Best wishes.
    Greg

Post Likes
    How about getting some flour tortillas? You can load them up with a bunch of lettuce, tomateos and a little bit of meat and you are fooling your body into thinking you are eating a lot but in fact you are not.

Post Likes
    I grind up balogna & pickles, add mayo. Good sandwich spread!

Post Likes
    Mmmmmmmmm I'm going to that here!

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    How about getting some flour tortillas? You can load them up with a bunch of lettuce, tomateos and a little bit of meat and you are fooling your body into thinking you are eating a lot but in fact you are not.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Post Likes
    Do like one of the techs I work with and smoke cigarettes for lunch. He’s already had a mini stroke.

Post Likes
    A good salad (dressing seperate) is not too hard to pack. Add some lean turkey or grilled tuna.

On a sandwich add guacamole instead of mayo.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Bud-Light in a plastic bag, with a few ice cubes

"or" maybe the soup thing? I used to throw a can up on the dash in the morning and by the time I was hungry, it was all heated up and yummy

Post Likes
    Hot lunches, get a power inverter. Stick microwave in van.
    I'm sure most guys have one that wife would love to replace with a new one.
    Power inverters are pretty cheap these days.

Post Likes
    A great healthy tuna salad. Substitute mayo for spicy mustard, minced garlic, and a little olive oil. Lots of heart healthy fats in fish and olive oil, will help with cholesterol level too. And if you cut up ANY vegetable small enough, you can add it in to up the fiber. Put the tuna salad on whole grain bread, or a spring mix veggies. Good luck with your health!

Post Likes
    Sandwhich - Buffalo chicken from acme on wheat bread with some copper sharp cheese.

Snacks - Small container with a snack of your choice, ex. cheese nips, pretzels.

Fruit - good snack to get you goin, maybe some grapes or an apple.

Drink - During the winter some water or a juice of your choice, but in the summer a gatorade and water.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in