Thread: Help! GE Heat Pump

Post Likes

Help! GE Heat Pump

Hi all, this is my first post on here. I have joined in order to get some help with troubleshooting/improving the performance of my GE heat pump. It is mounted indoors, in a closet on the second floor of my condo. It has been a source of both frustration and joy. I have two questions for all you experts out there.

1) I turned my thermostat to "heat" mode for the first time in months yesterday, but there is no heat coming out of the vents. I was not aware that there were separate heating and cooling elements per se, but it appears that maybe there is a fuse for each. The reason this is confusing is because the unit seems to still be capable of cooling. What could be causing this?

2) Overall, the unit does not adequately heat my condo and this has been a source of debate between homeowners and the developers. While technically the heat pumps are rated to the space, the thermal mass of the concrete block envelope walls is effecting the inside temp so much that you just have to run the heat pump 24/7 when it's cold, so that the interior blocks have little chance to cool down, therefore retaining heat and radiating it into the space.

I am curious about if there is anything I can do to increase the heating abilities of the unit without replacing it. I noticed that on the front panel, there are different "power supply kits" listed, with a corresponding max heating. Do any of those combos make more heat than another, or is it just for compatibility?

Here is a pic of the unit's label:

I know very little about hvac stuff, and I can't afford to get a pro in here right now. Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    you can call on a local contractor to come out and check your heating system out for you. other than that, this is not a DIY site
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Okay, are there any sites that are?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by mcm303 View Post

you so crazy

Post Likes
    Does anybody notice anything strange about this data plate?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcm303 View Post
    this is the only HVAC trusted site on the web
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post

GE made in china???

what is this a thru the wall unit?

Post Likes
    Yes, thru the wall unit.

I am just curious, from a general knowledge standpoint, do heat pumps have separate fuses for heating and cooling?

Post Likes
    That's their VTAC. Like a Magic Pak heatpump.

Last edited by BaldLoonie; 10-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Post Likes
    don't think a little bitty unit like that would.

tag says it is a corded unit, does it just plug into an outlet?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    "Cord Connected Unit"

LOL
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    don't think a little bitty unit like that would.

tag says it is a corded unit, does it just plug into an outlet?
    There is a cord that goes to an enclosure with a strange plastic T-handle inside that I think you are supposed to remove and reverse to shut off power to the unit. It says on there "no fuses inside." Where are they?

This is a green-built project which is why you are seeing such a (probably) strange residential setup.

Post Likes
    There are 3 levels of electric heat chosen by which cord is used and based on available power. Ask the installer if he is using the 5kw element? Shouldn't be a fuse or breaker issue if the fan blows. How cold is it outside? If above freezing, the compressor should be running backed up by the electric strips. Sounds like the dealer needs to check it out. As for barely keeping up, that's a sizing issue if the thing is wired properly.

Post Likes
    Some more pics of the unit:

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    There are 3 levels of electric heat chosen by which cord is used and based on available power. Ask the installer if he is using the 5kw element? Shouldn't be a fuse or breaker issue if the fan blows. How cold is it outside? If above freezing, the compressor should be running backed up by the electric strips. Sounds like the dealer needs to check it out. As for barely keeping up, that's a sizing issue if the thing is wired properly.
    I did have the unit removed and replaced due to a clogged drain pan, and I haven't tried to run the unit's heat since, so I am wondering if maybe something like the element was damaged.

It is not cold outside (high 50s) and the unit is blowing cold air. I know that it is a sizing issue mainly, but I was just wondering if there were actually 3 levels of heat output. You are saying that this is limited by the available power though. I wonder if it is working to it's maximum abilities? What is the 5km element exactly? Are there supposed to be electric strips, like on a forced radiant heater? Do they usually come with the unit, or is this something that is put in additionally. Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    Ok, now the unit won't turn on in heat mode, but will turn on in cool mode. Actually it turned on for a half a second and then, I guess, once the compressor kicked on, the fan turned off.

Post Likes
    Sorry, dude. Site rules don't allow us to help homers troubleshoot. You'll need to call for help.

Thread closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in