Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    SOURCE FOR PVC DUCT/FITTINGS

    I am building a new home and want to put PVC duct under the concrete slab.
    My installer doesn't want to do it, but will let me do it myself. He has drawn
    a modified perimeter duct plan. Only source for PVC duct/fittings I can find is
    General Plastics "Black Max" which has to be purchased through a distributor.
    Does anyone know of other brands or sources available to the DIY'er?
    Sizes he has prescribed run from 14" to 5"; also need plenum, collars, L's, Y's,
    register boots. Have been told I can use PVC irrigation pipe for ducting w/
    Black Max fittings. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    PVC Duct

    Vwitcher, I stumbled on this link for PVC ductwork last night while researching geothermal info: http://gogreenduct.com/index-2.html
    See if that link helps

  3. #3

    Geothermal

    I'm a residential builder and plan to build this home in the Warner Robins area:
    <br>
    <a target="_top" href="http://www.allplans.com/plans/APS-2417.html">http://www.allplans.com/plans/APS-2417.html</a>
    <br>
    I would like to get feedback from someone in the business of installing HVAC systems and is licensed. I plan to build this home for my wife and I, which will be the last home I live in. So, I want a very energy efficient place. Intend to build with insulated concrete forms, which will give me the equivalent performance factor of R20 for walls. This house will have a crawl space, and only a bonus room above the garage. I'm willing to replace Engineered wood I-beams with parallel chord trusses to have openings for duct work etc in both the floor joists and ceiling. Overall, I do NOT want the flexible ductwork all over the place in the attic, but put into the floor and ceiling. Intend to put down sheeting in storage area of attic, over ceiling parallel chord trusses (at least 12" to obtain R38) to conceal ductwork. So, I need a ball park estimate for this system if I want a conventional system(s) installed for all electric heat, heat pump, and air conditioning system. Must also install a fresh air system, with a HEPA filter. This will be course of action #1.
    <br>

    <br>
    Course of action #2 is a geothermal system. I can't get prices just for the system I'm considering, which is made by WaterFurnace? This house has about 2,500 sq' on the main floor. and 500 sq' in bonus room. Ceiling heights vary, with an average of 13'. All windows will be Anderson 400 series. I would like the costs for these systems without labor to install: WaterFurnace Envision system with appropriate rating in tons, Geotank, Intellizone, and Alpinepure system? Secondly, I would like the costs for all duct work, trenches etc for lines buried in the ground with glycol inside tubing, what ever is poured into trench to help conduction and protect the hoses from damage--complete geothermal installation. Right now I'm working near Atlanta, but this home will be built by Warner Robins Georgia area. Any advice would be appreciated, other than geothermal is not cost effective....As I stated before, I plan to live in this house for quite awhile. Thanks, Rob
    <br>
    Chiefsconstruction.
    <br>

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by vwitcher View Post
    I am building a new home and want to put PVC duct under the concrete slab.
    My installer doesn't want to do it, but will let me do it myself. He has drawn
    a modified perimeter duct plan. Only source for PVC duct/fittings I can find is
    General Plastics "Black Max" which has to be purchased through a distributor.
    Does anyone know of other brands or sources available to the DIY'er?
    Sizes he has prescribed run from 14" to 5"; also need plenum, collars, L's, Y's,
    register boots. Have been told I can use PVC irrigation pipe for ducting w/
    Black Max fittings. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Vwitcher, I stumbled on this link for PVC ductwork last night while researching geothermal info: http://gogreenduct.com/index-2.html
    See if that link helps. This is my first time at a site like this, so not sure if I'm answering correctly.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    4,422
    I n
    B efore
    T he
    L ock
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    1,100
    Why wont your installer do it?
    ___________________________

    Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

  7. #7

    Talking gogreenduct is High-Density Polyethylene Foam ductwork

    vwitcher
    gogreenduct is a High-Density Polyethylene Foam ductwork. Very different then PVC ductwork and blackmax, i.e., not all plastics are the same. We have installed many under slab ductwork this year alone with gogreenduct or AKDUCT. It's safe to go back underground with AKDUCT we found. The issue is make sure the contractors is trained with this system. Make no mistakes putting on maxseal gasket around the pipes, its near impossible to remove. The AKDUCT system is certified for use Below Flood Elevation (BFE test results attached) because it is engineered for an air & water tight seal. It cost more in the ductwork but less labor and overall materials then that for a PVC like install, so come out paying a lot less. The big reason for using AKDUCT is the system is complete, your contractor should have everything they need from the distributor that is manufactured by the same company. But make sure its blue. I hope this helps

  8. #8

    Geothermal HVAC Questions

    Thanks for the information vwitcher. I'm new to this site, and trying to understand more about geothermal systems, to help justify the expense, and find an experienced contractor in the Macon Georgia area that will perform all the calculations based on more than just square footage, and the last job they did without call back complaints they installed a 4 ton unit and it worked out fine... Would much rather see someone consider square footage, ceiling heights, R value for walls, and ceiling, perform manual J or have software...etc. As the builder, I know the home will be well insulated and good quality windows......... My comments on on the ductwork was only an attempt to help someone out, but you know more about the subject than I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by precursorpilot View Post
    vwitcher
    gogreenduct is a High-Density Polyethylene Foam ductwork. Very different then PVC ductwork and blackmax, i.e., not all plastics are the same. We have installed many under slab ductwork this year alone with gogreenduct or AKDUCT. It's safe to go back underground with AKDUCT we found. The issue is make sure the contractors is trained with this system. Make no mistakes putting on maxseal gasket around the pipes, its near impossible to remove. The AKDUCT system is certified for use Below Flood Elevation (BFE test results attached) because it is engineered for an air & water tight seal. It cost more in the ductwork but less labor and overall materials then that for a PVC like install, so come out paying a lot less. The big reason for using AKDUCT is the system is complete, your contractor should have everything they need from the distributor that is manufactured by the same company. But make sure its blue. I hope this helps
    Last edited by chiefsconstruct; 11-13-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: type errors

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    Why wont your installer do it?

    ????
    ___________________________

    Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

  10. #10
    Lash, I don't know why his installer won't work with that product?

    I'm mainly interested in geothermal info for now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event