CONVERT or REPLACE an EAC to media ...?

I have two 90% furnaces to which 2 years ago I added Lennox Healthy Climate EAC-16 filters for each. Needless to say despite the cost after two years of cleaning 4 cells monthly (or not so monthly as it turned out...) I am done and have to make a switch.

For me a far better solution is going to be a 4-5 inch pleated media filter in the MERV 10-16 range that I only have to change every 6-12 months (no pets, only mild allergies in season, cost of filters not a major issue.)

So... what do I do? The internal cabinet space (where the cells go) in the EAC's are about 20.5 x 21.25 x 5 and no filter really fits that super tight. The Lennox reps recommend a filter they sell which is 19.5 x 19.5 x 4.25 (likely to leave large gaps right?) and I have seen some White Rogers and Emerson filters that are 20.75 x 21 x 5 that seem just barely too big in height. I would *LOVE* to use the EAC cabinets to save on money but any gaps with the filters will destroy the filter performance right?

Should I bite the bullet and just pay to have dedicated media cabinets put in and the EAC's removed, or are slight imperfections in fit in the existing EAC cabinets tolerable? I want to correct my poor choice but try to be cost effective in doing so.

Thoughts... thanks!

Be careful of the media filter increased pressure drop.

A tech/company worth their salt should be able to set you up using the eacs cabinets without gaps around the filters.

thanks for the quick reply... pressure drops on some of the MERV 10-11 filters (in the 5 inch thickness) seem comparable in drop compared to the EAC drop, of course all published numbers, not measured on my system.

when you say a company should be able to set me up using the EAC cabinets, are you talking about custom modifying the cabinet, or simply finding a right size filter? I want to be cost effective but not in anyway hinder performance of the new media filter... if the solution is a "cludge" ie. having always to use tapes and other stuff glued to my filter boxes then perhaps I should price a media box like the Lennox HC10 or Lennox HC16 type stuff...

Is there a permanent mod that can be made to the EAC cabinets to work with normal sized 20x20x5 filters and have no gaping?

Any good HVAC technician should be able to seel those gaps up for you with sheetmetal in order for a standard size filter to fit

Golan

Quote Originally Posted by golan37 View Post
    Any good HVAC technician should be able to seel those gaps up for you with sheetmetal in order for a standard size filter to fit

Golan

ditto

someone should be able to make a channel or plate to let you use a standard size.

eac was a 20 x 20 model? never saw one of them, down flow furnace?