Bryant upflow furnace mounted horizontally??

Quick question:

Is it "safe" to install a Bryant model 395CAV Upflow furnace in a horizontal position?

Long explanation:

Had a technician at the house to look at a heating issue, it was a minor problem, but he shut down the furnace and explained it was the wrong unit for this application as it was a safety hazard. It was installed improperly and should not be used and needs to be replaced. Suggested I call the installer to get it replaced. He explained that the safety mechanism(s) in the unit are designed for the unit to be upright. If installed on its side, they won't work. Sounds reasonable.

Installer seemed to think there was no issue with this as "it passed inspection".

Called Bryant to ask them to weigh in on the subject as the definitive answer, and they don't let anyone talk to their technical people unless you are a licensed dealer ... which I'm not. So no answer there.

The unit works, but now I don't know if it is really a safety hazard or not. Also note, the house was built 10 years ago and never been an issue with this furnace.

Any ideas on where to get a definitive answer on this?

The 395CAV is "approved for upflow installations only," according to Bryant's information on it. Whether or not it's safe I can't tell you... perhaps a pro here can.

does not matter if its "safe" or not, if not approved for horizontal install it must be replaced.

original installer should be liable for replacing it if not approved application.

Some furnaces are multi-poise, meaning they can be installed in either horizontally or vertically. Most of the time these furnaces have to be configured internally to which way the unit is to be installed. It's not safe to operate a upflow furnace on its side none of the limit switches I'm guessing are any where near the right spot, let alone the burner configuration could be putting heat where you don't want it. Get the furnace replaced as soon as possible, if a tech put the furnace out of service it is not safe to operate simple as that.

Do a google search type 395cav it clearly states upflow only. Sounds like wrong install. How long has this been like this?

Inspectors does not know if it is installed wrong or not they look mainly to see if it is vented right and check gas line and some requires joints on ductwork to be sealed. They don't know if it is multipoise or not. Should be up to installer contractor to know this. Like someone else said really can't tell you if it is safety issue or not but fact is it was installed wrong. I wouldn't take any chances with it. I had a contractor install a residential furnace in a mobile home and I had to shut it down due to it never had manufacture mobile home furnace in it and this was a new install next day installer calling me wondering why I shut it down. He lost money on that job.

The plot thickens ... now the company that the builder said installed the unit says they didn't install it. I don't know who to believe at this point, so I'm going with the advise posted here which was ""does not matter if its "safe" or not, if not approved for horizontal install it must be replaced.""

Besides, with the unit in the attic over the master bedroom, I'd wonder "is tonight the night" each time the thing fires up while I'm in bed.

To answer some of the other questions, the unit was original with the house 11 years ago. It has worked fine with no problem until last weekend when it didn't fire up. The guy that came out diagnosed the problem as a tripped draft safety switch. He also noted that the exhaust vent was 5inch at the unit, but reduced to 4inch pipes with a few elbows. That could explain the exhaust switch being tripped, but not sure why after 11 years.

Thanks to all for your responses ...

You could have material build up in the pipe. Maybe it barely got draft before, but now that 4 inches has been reduced further due to material buildup and thats the problem.

As far as whether or not they installed it, it COULD be true that they don't keep their records that far back.

However, I would guestimate that the manufacturer has a record of every serial number sold, what distributor or contractor it went to and what date it was sold on.

I'd try calling all the local companies that distribute those units and give them the serial and ask if they can call the manuf and see if they will help you determine what contractor it went to. then you have PROOF who installed it and then go from there with getting it replaced.

I wouldn't think 11 years matters in a case like that, but I really dunno the law on that sort of thing. its a huge liability for them that's prob been a ticking time bomb and once you have proof who installed it, they should jump through hoops to replace it.

Or, just tell them you'll be down to measure their storefront to make sure your name will fit across the width as soon as it blows up and you OWN THEM.

I'd be real concerned about the install. Is this home in a development ? If so , what about your neighbors systems ? How about checking the inspectors for any permits filed for the install, it might show the model and serial number of the furnace. Not sure on the liability of the installing company after the amount of time gone by, but you surely are now aware of a potential problem. Seeing this is an 80% furnace and with gas cost on the rise, maybe just go for a nicer 90% and feel safe, and maybe save on your monthly bill. Please let us know how you make out.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

was it inspected 10 yrs ago?

if it was then the inspection dept may have records of who pulled the permit.