Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr. H.I. is a supposed non-trade proffesional (DIY) asking for advice to impersonate a trade proffesional (for a fee). Paying for the info on a ride along basis or joint trade basis is apparently not worth it to him...as he has to compete on price (his words). This non-trade proffesional is extended/granted (unfortunately) a great deal of influence over events that can at a minimum affect inoccent and honest people negatively.

I see a perfectly good and rationale position for all the tradespeople opinions that have chimed in. And I see no rationale reason why any particular "one" should be the equivelant of the "high road".

The HI industry has no controlling authority. That has proven to create and enable problems, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    OK, that is funny.
    Yes, I was being funny, but I was also being quite serious.

Using a laser thermometer for the AC temp splits is a waste of time. You are simply measuring grill temperatures. Unless the system has been running for several hours, that supply grill will not be the same temperature as the air leaving the duct.

Far too many of the HI community use the laser thermometer for temp splits.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Question professionalism

Before you bash another trade, you ought to spend a little time learning about them. Yes, there are some guys who got into home inspection who really should not have...........just like servicing HVAC. This site has a whole forum celebrating the hacks in the HVAC industry. No shortage there. There also is a ton of disagreement on this site as so much of HVAC seems to evolve around opinions/ experience and not that every tech had the same training and some just have better recall than others. Many, if not most of the guys on this site admit they don't even own a set of code books, yet crow how they are pros.

I work with the HIs training them and find most are very knowledgeable and do provide a very valuable service. Most know a heck of a lot more than you guys give them credit for. So, you have a bad experience because one guys says or does something goofy or you disapprove of and based upon that experience, you condemn the entire industry? Ok, you ALL are a bunch of HACKS based upon that logic! How does that feel? Makes you want to defend yourselves and lash out, right? Exactly. Look, they are generalist, meaning they look for the Red Flags and recommend a pro come in for further evaluation/ correction. If you get pinged for your work, then tell them up front if there is nothing wrong when you ge there, there will be a charge plus mileage.

Benny, half the HVAC techs I've seen shoot grilles with IR thermometers. Just like kids watching you smoke, monkey see, monkey do.

Davidr has been monitoring one of their websites and can comment on their expertise or the lack thereof but also on some of the cr@p they do find. He has also conducted himself as a professional and proven what a class act he is. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about some others on this site.

Then, they should follow my advice, too.

Use it to play with the cat. It's not meant for taking air temperatures.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by mlo1 View Post
    The HI industry has no controlling authority. That has proven to create and enable problems, IMHO.
    There is a standard of practice, and I know my state just recently started regulating HI.

Think what you will. In many instances you are right - there are a number of grandfathered individuals that shouldn't be in the business.

Sorry to take a high road - can you imagine how I might be feeling defensive?

I'm a mechanical design engineer, who designs and commissions mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems in commercial, light commercial and sometimes residential structures. My associate I do HI with is a licensed Professional Engineer (structural). We can do HI in our state because of his professional engineer's license, which has it's own battery of qualifications, as you might imagine.

I don't claim to know everything - I'm too "wise" for that. But you guys claiming none of us know ANYTHING, well - suite yourself, I guess.

Perhaps everyone that buys a home should have a line of offical tradespeople paraded through their house for each and every system. That would be cheap and efficient, and I'm sure nothing would ever get missed - especially since everyone would know exactly what everyone else looked at.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Then, they should follow my advice, too.

Use it to play with the cat. It's not meant for taking air temperatures.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    If I could tell an inspector anything????

I banged your wife last night.....

How's your wife and my kids?

You're wife used to be a man.....

Does the world look different when you wear your azz for a hat?

.....just a few to get started....I can probably think of a few more

OMG! ROFLMAO! Tell us how you really feel, Bender.

On a serious note.....

Countless times I have been called out to a HO house to "fix" things that the HI reported on. Everything from noises, to improper delta t, to just cleaning the furnace. Cleaning the furnace is the responsibility of the homeowner. What should the delta t be on a 95* day? It depends on a lot of other factors that the HI has no experience with. But I digress......

Mr. Home Inspector, when it comes to the mechanical equipment in the house, IMHO, your responsibility is to determine if the system is working, not how well it is working. That is our job.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    when it comes to the mechanical equipment in the house, IMHO, your responsibility is to determine if the system is working, not how well it is working. That is our job.
    Agreed. That is the position I take.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Countless times I have been called out to a HO house to "fix" things that the HI reported on. Everything from noises, to improper delta t, to just cleaning the furnace. Cleaning the furnace is the responsibility of the homeowner. What should the delta t be on a 95* day? It depends on a lot of other factors that the HI has no experience with. But I digress......

Mr. Home Inspector, when it comes to the mechanical equipment in the house, IMHO, your responsibility is to determine if the system is working, not how well it is working. That is our job.
    Yup...the next time I have an inspector tell one of my customers that I need to come back out and install a control for the humidifier when there is an IAQ stat hanging on the wall I am gonna hurt someone. Or better yet...."this humidifier is too small for your home".
    WTF?? Did you do a humidifier calculation on the home?? Or just wet your finger and hold it up in the air??

Those who can......do
    Those who can't....become inspectors

I need a new signature.....

Yup...the next time I have an inspector tell one of my customers that I need to come back out and install a control for the humidifier when there is an IAQ stat hanging on the wall I am gonna hurt someone.

I have not been down that road yet... I usually keep enough notes on each install to find those messes before any time and gas is wasted.

I think I would politely explain that one to the realtor if it were my installation.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Those who can......do
    Those who can't....become inspectors

And those that know how work for those who know why.

I'm sorry you've had so many bad dealings with HI, really.

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    And those that know how work for those who know why.

I'm sorry you've had so many bad dealings with HI, really.
    You know what Larobj63.....I just read this thread again and I think I need to apologize...around these parts we have HOME inspectors and then we have CITY inspectors...City inspectors are the guys I deal with after an install and these are the guys my anger is directed at. I honestly haven't dealt with a HOME inspector in a very long time....my bad....seriously....I meant no disrespect.

Unless you're a city inspector too
    I need a new signature.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast