Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We received a call from one of our builders stating that a home we had completed over a year ago had flunked the home inspector's inspection, he had a problem with the way we had installed the duel wall venting.

We sent out a tech yesterday to check it out, and was told we needed to install 3 screws in each and every pipe joint. The tech called the office and asked if we really wanted him to do this. He** no, tell him to show me where in the code book it says that. Well he says its not in the code book but it would be better that way. Are you F***ing kidding me, it would be better.
    I downloaded the manufactures specs and faxed them over, highlighting where it says NO SCREWS. I should have sent a bill with it.

As has already been said, if you don't know don't talk.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Some dealers will put a new outdoor unit on the old indoor coil. Example from about 15 years ago when my young cousin bought her first house. Pointed out that the owners left her a shiny new A/C. I didn't tell her the hack reused the old coil. Sure enough year or 2 later that old coil sprung a leak and cost them 4 digits to replace it. Knowing about the half-assed job up front, they could have addressed it.

I have a hard time answering this due to the CO and fire hazards that only a pro in most cases can seek out.

My only advise is at least purchase a CO detector
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    We received a call from one of our builders stating that a home we had completed over a year ago had flunked the home inspector's inspection, he had a problem with the way we had installed the duel wall venting.

We sent out a tech yesterday to check it out, and was told we needed to install 3 screws in each and every pipe joint. The tech called the office and asked if we really wanted him to do this. He** no, tell him to show me where in the code book it says that. Well he says its not in the code book but it would be better that way. Are you F***ing kidding me, it would be better.
    I downloaded the manufactures specs and faxed them over, highlighting where it says NO SCREWS. I should have sent a bill with it.

As has already been said, if you don't know don't talk.

sounds like the inspector that inspected my last house when i sold it.

told the buyer that the concentric venting sticking out thru the roof was illegal because he never saw one before......

also told him the expansion tank hanging UNDER a hot water pipe was water logged since it sounded full of water at the top.........

if they don't know what they are looking at they need to ask someone who does.............

Keep your laser thermometers in your truck. Use them for playing with your cat.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

If I could tell an inspector anything????

I banged your wife last night.....

How's your wife and my kids?

You're wife used to be a man.....

Does the world look different when you wear your azz for a hat?

.....just a few to get started....I can probably think of a few more
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post

Frown H.I. bashing again

Before you guys get all worked up and start slinging mud, let me remind you about people living in glass houses. I'm neither a Home Inspector nor an HVAC tech but I come behind bad ones from both camps. The vast majority of complaints I hear from HVAC techs about H.I.s is when they called out something the HVAC tech felt was a non-issue. However, I hardly ever hear cases where an inspector missed something glaringly obvious wrong or was a hazard. Most do have a boiler plate recommendation for a follow up HVAC tech to perform a comprehensive inspection with performance testing. Now, since this is generating money for you techs, explain to me again why you like to bash the guys feeding your kids?

Why don't you lay off the negative jabber and try to produce something useful and righteous for a change. The Great Bald One is being cooperative, why can't you all? This inspector came here to learn----not to be your whipping boy.

If you want to trash another trade just let me know and I can tell you cases every day where HVAC techs did goofy things or almost killed people. I'm not bashing all techs because I know most are competent and conscientious but there are always a few weenies in every bunch.

Can we all learn to live in peace and harmony here?
    Thx,

Now, since this is generating money for you techs, explain to me again why you like to bash the guys feeding your kids?
    Read my earlier post. My tech drove 120 miles round trip, was gone for 3 hrs and my total charge was $0. When we screw up we pay for it, when he screws up because he doesn't know, we pay for. I don't mind paying for our people's education, but I do mind paying for there's.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Before you guys get all worked up and start slinging mud, let me remind you about people living in glass houses. I'm neither a Home Inspector nor an HVAC tech but I come behind bad ones from both camps. The vast majority of complaints I hear from HVAC techs about H.I.s is when they called out something the HVAC tech felt was a non-issue. However, I hardly ever hear cases where an inspector missed something glaringly obvious wrong or was a hazard. Most do have a boiler plate recommendation for a follow up HVAC tech to perform a comprehensive inspection with performance testing. Now, since this is generating money for you techs, explain to me again why you like to bash the guys feeding your kids?

Why don't you lay off the negative jabber and try to produce something useful and righteous for a change. The Great Bald One is being cooperative, why can't you all? This inspector came here to learn----not to be your whipping boy.

If you want to trash another trade just let me know and I can tell you cases every day where HVAC techs did goofy things or almost killed people. I'm not bashing all techs because I know most are competent and conscientious but there are always a few weenies in every bunch.

Can we all learn to live in peace and harmony here?
    Thx,
    No, no. Some of these guys are right. HI's don't know anything, EVER. And none of them have any experience or education. And NONE of them should EVER talk about mechanical or electrical equipment. They all point out nit-picky things. AND - this is my favorite so far - your brother's ex-wife's best friend's mailman will always get ABSOLUTELY SCREWED because the boner HI guy said their electric service was all honkey dorey, when in fact the house has knob and tube electric with 3 outlets in the whole place.

Give me a break.

There are a lot of good techs and good people in this forum, but trust me, some scary question's come from "pro's" in here. Glass houses indeed.

By the way - thank you Hearthman.

And THANK YOU metal bender - you're the man!

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    OK, that is funny.

I think HI's in general should look thru the home in question and when they see things that do not look to be right in their opinion weather it be on the HAC system, electrical, plumbing, or other fixtures they should just merely note what department there referring to and note it on the report and leae it at that and let the potiential home buyers do what they want with the information and the HI should make there own reconmendation to have certains itmes looked at by a rebutable person in there respective trade that pertains to the problem area(s) UNless your liscensed do inspect the HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, and such that it should merely be noted and a referral made on there part period.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast