Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP! NEED AN OPINION

Apparently my trusty heat pump/ac has developed a leak (since the HVAC contractor I use had to add 4lbs of freon yesterday and had added one lb in July) in the outside unit which is a 5 ton Trane unit approx 10 years old. My inside (blower) unit was replaced about 5 years ago and is a bryant model. I am getting different opinions as to whether the outside unit should match the inside unit or if I can replace it with something different (ex. goodman). I have also been advised to be more efficient I should replace everything but since I have not won the lottery I dont see that as a viable option.

Help!!! does it really matter

get matched equipment is the best way to go

sure you can shove a ford engine into a chev it will work but its not the best
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Quote Originally Posted by 66mustang View Post
    Help!!! does it really matter
    If cash flow is a problem, it is not that big of a deal in the short run. You'll have heat. In the long run, you will not be taking advantage of a matched engineered system that will definitely have higher energy efficiencies than a 5 year old system.

anyone try to find the leak???

if what you have worked for the last 5 yrs it might be worth a repair.

if outdoor unit is shot then bryant may have a unit to match the coil.

if not then a matched system would be your best option.

Chances are if you have a TXV kit added to the air handler, it would be OK to use with a new Bryant/Carrier product. I wouldn't put another brand on it though especially with a heat pump.

thanks for your thoughts

My outside unit is a trane unit and is about 10 years old which some of the contractors say is about the life span of the unit. No one has even offered to look for the leak - from what I am reading the repair of a leak is a roll of the dice. The inside unit is a Bryant (5 years old) which I have learned is the same manufacturer as carrier.
    The most inexpensive option is to just replace the outside unit - if I go with a goodman it is about $500 less than if I would go with a Carrier. Since the outside units and inside units are mismatched already and it has not been a problem I wouldnt mind saving the money. I was just seeking some opinions .... thanks for taking the time to read and reply

always best to go with matching equipment, but we can make just about anything "work". Working well and giving you the best value for your dollar...that of course is a horse of a diffrent color.
    I would say get an new outdoor unit now, with plans to match it with new indoor equipment next year. JMO
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

If nobody has looked for the leak then how do you know its not the indoor unit or lineset. I would be more inclined to think it would be on the indoor coil.

You don't want to change the wrong peice and still have the same problem.

Also I also recommend you do not mismatch the system. With some manufactures if you don't match the system it will void the warranty.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    If nobody has looked for the leak then how do you know its not the indoor unit or lineset. I would be more inclined to think it would be on the indoor coil.

Also I also recommend you do not mismatch the system. With some manufactures if you don't match the system it will void the warranty.
    Step #1. FIND THE LEAK!!!
    This generally isn't too hard with a decent electronic leak detector that most any reputable contractor should have. This shouldn't be offered, it should be expected. Refrigerant only gets out through a leak. Good service dictates that the leak be found.
    Step #2. Fix it.
    Unless a leak is in an aluminum coil, repair of a leak in a copper line is pretty straightforward. Clean pipe + torch + rod = fixed leak.

As far as replacing the equipment, in a perfect world, you buy an engineered matched combo. Best efficiency if installed properly. Although this is the most costly route, done right, you get the best system this way.

In your case, if the outdoor unit is the weak link then try to find an outdoor unit that matches with the indoor coil.

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post

As the guy doing the work I would hunt down that leak first. So lets say they replace the condenser outside ...everything works just peachy ...that is till next spring when you need a charge again ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

i would expect to find a leak in a 5 yr old bryant before a 10 yr old trane unit..

find the leak first, even if it can't be fixed it should be found.

Find the leak first

Find a contractor who is capable of finding leak. Its not that difficult !!. You probably didn't have a technician, most likely you got a marketing guy pretending to be a tech.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Hmmmmmmm..........let's blast this one into residential!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast