refrig oil fuels U.S.S George Washington fire

May 08' fire at sea happened just outside the chiller room where 90 gallons of used oil was stored after service work.some mixed in with ZEP maybe that chiller techs use like water when over hauling...$70 million dollars in damage along with the sacking of its CO/XO.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    May 08' fire at sea happened just outside the chiller room where 90 gallons of used oil was stored after service work.some mixed in with ZEP maybe that chiller techs use like water when over hauling...$70 million dollars in damage along with the sacking of its captain.
    They were told to dispose of it properly and instead they hid it in an area where no one could find it. While they were ilegally smoking they accidentally lit it off in the air chase.
    They need to be prosecuted...

Those guys dont overhaul much i was in the ac&r shop on that ship when it was about 3 years old I heard about the fire dont know where it started or any of the details york 114 machines .We tore down one machine in a reactor space when i was there if it got too involved the ship yard or York marine was called in.

I worked on those York 114 type chillers back in the early 80's when I was in the Nav. How did they manage to ignite the refer oil? Shame the ole man was sacked too. I bet the sh** rolled downhill though. I'd hate to be that Chief Engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    May 08' fire at sea happened just outside the chiller room where 90 gallons of used oil was stored after service work.some mixed in with ZEP maybe that chiller techs use like water when over hauling...$70 million dollars in damage along with the sacking of its CO/XO.