Thread: York shell quandry

Post Likes

York shell quandry

York types:
    I have a YKNBMCHO-CPC that I am going to be starting up soon. This is a "C" style machine, using control panel #371-01200-004. It is a cooling only machine, Non-VSD/VGD, with a fixed orifice.Just finished the overhaul and pumped about 900 pounds into machine. Charge is R134a, and this is the amount I pulled.
    The original start up tech did not log the start up evap approach or amount of charge on the unit and I have consulted 160.49-01. and according to the shell code chart, I should have 1905 lbs of R134a. This is only a 450 ton machine. I did consult 160.49-02, on a whim, and the same shell codes call for 1650 pounds of charge. Both pertaining to a "C" style machine. I lend more credence to 160.49-01 due to the age of the machine (1994), even though both manuals state that they cover the numbers on the dates. the only difference is the panel#.
    I will check sight glasss levels after start up and charge by approach, but can these shell charges be accurate? seems awfully high. any input is appreciated.

r404a

Post Likes
    I would have to look it up and get back to you.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    check your M/N again your missing 3 digits should be YK then cooler code then condenser code then compressor code look at IOM 160.49.02 figure 4 will give you the charge number for 134a

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    york

thanks. I have "YK" then "NB" for cooler and "MC" for condenser and "HO" for compressor. the shell charts only give the first digit of each heatexchanger "N" and "M" in my case. thanks.

r404a

Post Likes
    From what I checked I would put 1650 lbs. check level in glass with machine down refer to the page I listed before , should get you where you need to be. Good luck.

Post Likes
    York,
    thanks for the help. I started it today and at 1000 pounds of charge approach was WAY too high and could almost see a little liquid peak under bottom glass. Ran for a while and will get more charge tomorow. I am going to weigh in 300 pounds, check it, then another 300 and shut down for shell check. thanks again.

r404a

Post Likes
    Hey r,

Does the "r" in r404a stand for Rudy Sarzo?

The Duke
    It might get loud!

Post Likes
    Duke...I wish...how was your lunch the other day?

I got this one back online at 1600 pounds of charge and approaching well at the load range.

thanks for the insight guys...now for another post...

r404a

Post Likes
    Not that this applies but watch the literature on York refrigerant charges. YT's with and without varable orifices have different charges. Not a little but a bunch!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Post Likes
    thanks for the replies

r404a

Post Likes
    r,

How about a new photo in your heading. How about your van with the "V-3" emblem on the side? That may generate some conversation.

The D_ _ _
    It might get loud!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in