Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jace 201, 3.1.29 to 3.3

I had an older jace 201 (1 year old) which I worked on with workbench 3.1.29 with no problems.

I upgraded my workbech to 3.3, connected to this old jace and told it to update all out of date modules.

Now, no platform or station connection.

Am I hooped? My choices are?

Hmmm. You said "hooped".

Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    I had an older jace 201 (1 year old) which I worked on with workbench 3.1.29 with no problems.

I upgraded my workbech to 3.3, connected to this old jace and told it to update all out of date modules.

Now, no platform or station connection.

Am I hooped? My choices are?
    Hooped is a nice way to say it, but yes you are!

Did you upgrade the Jace or are you talking about upgrading your laptop?
    If you upgraded the JACE with no liscence upgrade, you are 'hooped' until you get an upgraded liscense.
    If you are talking about your laptop, just open the rev level that is on the JACE and connect to it.

Oops, I just reread and you said no platform or station connection, so you must have upgraded the JACE. I believe you need to pay for liscense upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Did you upgrade the Jace or are you talking about upgrading your laptop?
    If you upgraded the JACE with no liscence upgrade, you are 'hooped' until you get an upgraded liscense.
    If you are talking about your laptop, just open the rev level that is on the JACE and connect to it.

Oops, I just reread and you said no platform or station connection, so you must have upgraded the JACE. I believe you need to pay for liscense upgrade.
    I believe its even worse than that. I dont think you can do anything with it in the field. I may be wrong, but I think its hosed.

Yeah, I think it is hosed.

Just so it does not happen again, where do I check on jace to see up to what version I can go up to?

Also, why would there not be a check by Jace before it does this? I mean it just makes sense to throw an exception and say no go instead of hosing itself.

Just so it does not happen again, where do I check on jace to see up to what version I can go up to?

Also, why would there not be a check by Jace before it does this? I mean it just makes sense to throw an exception and say no go instead of hosing itself.
    I would think you should still be able to get a platform connection if it is 'just' a license problem. The license will just prevent you from running a station. I'd do the port dump and see what is returned.

You could/may be able to downgrade with the clean dist to 3.1. I believe 3.3 contains them. Boot up your help in workbench and search clean. It should be the first thing that returns.

Additionally, you might want to review AX Upgrades and Downgrades

If you upgrade, as ChrisW advocates, one of the selections is install license.

I guess they figure that if you're upgrading, you know that the new license must be installed as part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by NINAX View Post
    I would think you should still be able to get a platform connection if it is 'just' a license problem. The license will just prevent you from running a station. I'd do the port dump and see what is returned.

You could/may be able to downgrade with the clean dist to 3.1. I believe 3.3 contains them. Boot up your help in workbench and search clean. It should be the first thing that returns.

Additionally, you might want to review AX Upgrades and Downgrades
    Ya, but its too late now..right?

I guess they figure that if you're upgrading, you know that the new license must be installed as part of the process.
    I understand what you are saying.

But I still say Jace should be smart enough not to hose itself.

I have no platform connection, so it is stuck somewhere.

I will do the port dump, and make the support call.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies.
    Oh I agree. I made the the mistake of changing the hostname in platform admin , on a PC running webstation. Bad, bad news it screws ya real good.

Thanks for the replies.
    What you did, the process (loosely), is what I would do when upgrading. But you need to make sure you have the license before upgrading.

I suppose they could have three or four pop-ups asking you "are sure you want to upgrade?' and 'please verify you have a license for this station before continuing' and then 'are you really sure?'

But, even with all of that, it still just boils down to the same thing that you should know to check before upgrading.

Once you get into the platform administrator, on one the very top lines to the left will indicate the version number of the Jace you are logged into.

You MUST have an updated license prior to upgrading !!! you can view and or install/upgrade your license via viewing the license manager.

You can also do this during a wizard commish, select to install a license from a file "OR" online, your choice, but it better be there

The Jace is only as smart as its operator and it sounds like you jumped the gun

The Trids might be able to help you out, get together the information you have and give them a buzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast