Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat seasoning

Does anyone create their own rubs and seasoning mixes? Mix them together or add something else?

Quote Originally Posted by vegaman04 View Post
    Does anyone create their own rubs and seasoning mixes? Mix them together or add something else?
    Yes, I do. Starting with lowrys,.. add plenty red curry powder and perhaps salt and/or black pepper if it suits your taste. I go very heavy on black pepper for home-made jerky, and manual ground is much better than the pre-ground stuff.

Best stuff I ever bought was 'big boy' seasoning from california. Apparently it is a resturant chain or something that packages their own seasoning. I ordered last about 8 or ten years ago. The woman I talked to was a little annoyed at my request at first, but soon agreed to ship me a case of the stuff. Very, very tasty stuff on anything that moo's or oink's!

If you get it, cook it in and do not try to sprinkle-season. You can bar-b-q on top of this, or use steak-sauce, or add further seasoning with no negative results I have ever found. Premium stuff.
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 10-29-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: I am very hungry

I have found that if you buy good (or great) quality meat that you dont need a whole lot of seasoning. You need some for sure, and even a fair amount on Brisket Ribs and Pork Butt.

If you are cooking a "choice" or "prime" grade steak,,, all you need is fresh ground pepper and Sea salt.

Taste the meat, dont over power it with a ton of seasoning.
    Most of the time Fish, Steaks, Scallops and pork chops need very little seasoning if any.

Exellent point garnerac, folks should understand the different grades of meat, something some know nothing about at all and do not know how to judge a good cut.

[i am a season-junkee anyway, but still an exellent point as some folks do not really understand what they are buying]

My main reason for loving the Montreal Steak Seasoning is that random crunch into a coriander seed.

I wish I had time to experiment with other uses for this spice. It's frickin good.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I was raised in Louisiana so, I love a bit of cajun seasoning.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

I dont use anything but salt on pork but for chicken I use Tony Cacheres More Spice. Only place I can find it is at Bass Pro Shop.

Good stuff Tonys!

Quote Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
    I dont use anything but salt on pork but for chicken I use Tony Cacheres More Spice. Only place I can find it is at Bass Pro Shop.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Always make your own, that way you get the exact taste you want!, Go easy on the salt.

I mix & match my dry rubs; always use fresh ground coarse sea salt and black pepper as a base, then a go between like a montreal/cajan mix (as mentioned by Jay 41, if you depend too much on the mixes, you will find your spices, affectionately called chemicals around here, likened to salty chemical waste!), then start adding flavour from there... Lately I've been on a dried fennel & cayenne kick. Mmmm, love that cajan flair. I like both cayenne (labeled red pepper) and chili, but I think I like cayenne just slightly more.

Remember to partly crush your seeds, spices, leaves & flakes to bring out the real flavour. Otherwise they remain locked inside. It becomes obvious the first time you crush them. Wife picked up an old 6oz marble mortar & pestle at a garage sale some years ago, which to me, became a necessity for spicing.

Nothing makes you feel more alive than habanero under your nails or in your eyes.

Mmmm, I'm hungry.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    My main reason for loving the Montreal Steak Seasoning is that random crunch into a coriander seed.

I wish I had time to experiment with other uses for this spice. It's frickin good.
    During the winter I always cook a lot of soup. Soup is good for you and also humidifys your house. (This is an HVAC site afterall). Herbs are expensive to buy in the store and cheap to grow. In the fall bring in the herbs hang them upside down to dry. Then you have dried herbs when ever you want.

Anyway, not getting off the subject. Most people who make salsa use cilantro in it. You pick cilantro leaves in the early part of the summer. If it continues to grow it turns into coriander seed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12