Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 26
  1. #1

    Diagnoses Please

    I have received much benefit and knowledge from reading replies to others no a question about a problem that spooked me since my house was built.

    We have Lennox furnace 15 y/o (installed Oct 1993) that's had a sooting problem from the get go. Its fueled by butane and runs from Nov-early April (deep south)

    This sooting has will cause the furnace not to fire unless the soot is removed-our builder's HVAC installer recommended using a hair dryer or vac on reverse to blow out the soot. Usually this had to be done monthly to keep it operating fine, yet the flames were never true blue (orange-yellow tinged)

    It always heated fine but just wondering if this problem was b/c we used butane for a system that had to been "adapted" from NG to butane.
    Any ideas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,171
    Time to replace the furnace. Seriously, though. A properly operating furnace will not soot. The soot is an indication of a very serious problem. Do not operate until a qualified service tech has given his blessing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post
    IWe have Lennox furnace 15 y/o (installed Oct 1993) that's had a sooting problem from the get go. Its fueled by butane and runs from Nov-early April (deep south)
    Butane? Wow.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Butane? Wow.
    What is "wow" No I'm gettin' a little worried

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,642
    sure its not propane?

    sooting is a serious problem, get someone else to look at it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,600
    I dont think I have ever heard of a butane fueled furnace....propane and NG yes, but not butane.

    Never heard of a conversion kit for this either.

    If it is butane, perhaps you have the wrong conversion kit causing it to soot.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

  7. #7

    Its Propane, my bad. Tuff day @ work

    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    sure its not propane?

    sooting is a serious problem, get someone else to look at it.
    new guy (one who shafted me couple of weeks ago) put a new 'nozzle' on a doo-dad that apparently put the PROPANE into the burner

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    66,807
    You mean a new orfice.

    Sounds like your furnace was never set up.
    Just the conversion kit installed.
    Then they turned the switch on, it worked and they said its good to go.

    You need someone to clean it, and then set it up properly.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,642
    if it has been sooting for 15 years it's probably time for a new one.

    has anyone pulled the HX to wash it out?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,232
    If they didn't use the proper conversion kit or set the manifold pressure correctly it could soot. If the orifices are not sized for propane and supply a "rich" fuel to air mixture it will soot. It is almost impossible to properly clean out a sooted heat ex. so it may need to be replaced. Get a competent tech to check it out before you operate it any longer.

  11. #11

    Been is correct new orifice

    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    if it has been sooting for 15 years it's probably time for a new one.

    has anyone pulled the HX to wash it out?
    and no it hasn't been cleaned. Waiting this weekend to fire it and we'll see.

    I DO know that flames would actually come outside the burner box and get that familar loud pop when the metal started cooling. I gonna depend on you guys for some answers, so appreciate all that's answered so far.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,348
    I would advise you to not touch it and leave it off.

    Call around and make sure the technician who will be coming is aware of the ongoing problem i.e. sooting,roll out of flames and conversion done.Be sure to give the mod.#. Good luck and be safe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    you have a mess there!!!

    time to find a qualified technician to work on your system!! for sure!!

    it amazes me how people do this kind of work and still make a living!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event