Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jace and Modbus

Jace and Modbus

Need to add a modbus device to a fx60 with modbus driver. No experience with modbus. Can anyone tell me briefly what I need to do and purchase. Thanks

You need to know what media you are using to get the MODbus points - in general, if it's over Ethernet, you'll need the MODbus TCP driver; if it's over an RS-485 connection, use the MDObus RTU driver. (Actually, my JCI price book only lists the RTU driver, so hopefully you're connecting with an RS-485 connection) In all likelihood, you don't need the MODbus "server" driver (the one with an S at the end of part number), because you're most likely not serving FX-60 data to a MODbus network, but rather you're picking up MODbus data for use in the FX-60. Use the client RTU driver.

There's no auto-discovery of MODbus controllers or points, so you'll need to know quite a bit about the controller to be able to integrate it into the FX-60. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a points list that lists all the MODbus registers for the device you're integrating, so getting started won't take to long.

Post some specific questions here once you get started - there's quite a few of us who have done various MODbus integrations to FX-60's (or any of their Tridium-manufactured cousins) with a variety of MODbus equipment.

Just so happens that I am fixing to do my first AX modbus job to some APC units through a Carel gateway this week.

Any tips on this?
    Go Rangers!

Be sure you've got all the documentation for the gateway - it'll show you the pinout for their 9-pin serial ports. I recommend bringing a couple 9-pin serial cables with you; you'll hack off an end for each connection to the gateway - one to JACE's RS-485 port, the other to the field equipment bus. If memory serves (check the docs to be sure), you can use just one serial cable with a male end and a female end - you'll use one of each for the two connections to the gateway.

Be aware, too, that the temperatures and setpoints come across as unscaled - so to display the temperatures (and write the setpoints) as something more realistic than 694 degrees, you'll need to massage the points in and out of the gateway.

As far as the temp values, are you saying just play with the scale and offset of the linear conversion in the proxy point?
    Go Rangers!

I don't think it's that complicated - I simply divided the incoming values by 10 before displaying them, and multiplied the outgoing setpoint values by 10 before writing them...

Gotcha, thanks for the info.
    Go Rangers!

lwarren (and possibly davem!)

First off I am talking from a UK based point of view.
    I have found that there is a massive variance on data types that you can get from any one Carel gateway - as you say you must really know where the device is coming from. Can you identify the device and application and whether or not it is OEM??.

If it is an OEM product then you are going to be be better placed if it is coming from a straight RS232/485 gateway. If it is the generic modbus gateway then there are additional problems with addressing etc that I managed to overcome with an excel spreadsheet for translating variables to registers (and register types).

I have integrated McQuay chillers, Carel Humifog systems and bespoke Carel apps in R2 but not in Ax (although I do not believe there is any difference on the Carel interface in this regard). I have also integrated APC units on SNMP to R2 and Carel on SNMP to AX.

Apart from rememberng the nasty +/- 1 number in the registers it is not too bad but from experience if you have a nice modbus interrogation program over RS232 then this can help considerably - particularly when deciding how many registers you can interrogate on one module.

Be aware that their documentation may not be up to date (if from Carel direct)

Please Email me if you think I can help - goodness knows I owe this (and other places) some payback.

Barry
    gnomethang

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I don't think it's that complicated - I simply divided the incoming values by 10 before displaying them, and multiplied the outgoing setpoint values by 10 before writing them...
    That is usually the case - most points are defined as 0 - 999 integer so 22.2 DegC will be 0222 (int) but MIGHT be 22.2 as an analogue This is where knowing the software helps and trial and error, although successful, will take a bit of time. It depends on how they declare the variable through the gateway device.

I have a pretty good relationship with Carel UK and through them to some of the Italian development guys. They will help but if it is OEM then they will send you there first.

Barry
    gnomethang

You need to know what media you are using to get the MODbus points - in general, if it's over Ethernet, you'll need the MODbus TCP driver; if it's over an RS-485 connection, use the MDObus RTU driver. (Actually, my JCI price book only lists the RTU driver, so hopefully you're connecting with an RS-485 connection) In all likelihood, you don't need the MODbus "server" driver (the one with an S at the end of part number), because you're most likely not serving FX-60 data to a MODbus network, but rather you're picking up MODbus data for use in the FX-60. Use the client RTU driver.
    Probably just an oversight, but I'll throw in that the RTU driver will work just fine with the FX60 RS-232 port also.

Sorry, just realised that you guys were only talking about the FX/Ax issues!.
    I'll get me coat!
    gnomethang

Quote Originally Posted by NINAX View Post
    Probably just an oversight, but I'll throw in that the RTU driver will work just fine with the FX60 RS-232 port also.
    An oversight of the ignorant kind - I've never used MODbus through the RS-232 port (but I'm glad I know that now - I know some switchgear spits out MODbus points via 232...now if I can just get my JACE within 50' of the switchgear...)

An oversight of the ignorant kind - I've never used MODbus through the RS-232 port (but I'm glad I know that now - I know some switchgear spits out MODbus points via 232...now if I can just get my JACE within 50' of the switchgear...)
    We have used RS485 converters!
    gnomethang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast