Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need quick answer

I recently had a dual fuel system installed. I originally had propane but am switching over to NG. Unfortunately that switch is not complete yet. Still waiting to get NG meter set. Have been using in the HP in AC mode for a few months.

Even though the gas is not hooked up, can the heat pump portion of the system still be ran. I realize I should have asked the install company, but I wasn't expecting to use heat before the changeover was complete. And it's getting chilly. Common sense tells me the gas has nothing to do with the heat pump and I can use it as long as it doesn't reach the set point for the switchover to gas. (which it won't tonight.) So is my common sense correct?

Thanks.

use your heat pump... if it needs to go into deforst-- you will feel the cold air as your aux. heat is not hooked up-- you will feel the cold air till defrost is met -- maybe 10 minutes-- of course it may not go into defrost if conditions are not met for it ..-- BUt to answer your question with a quick answer-- use your heat pump in heat

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    I recently had a dual fuel system installed. I originally had propane but am switching over to NG. Unfortunately that switch is not complete yet. Still waiting to get NG meter set. Have been using in the HP in AC mode for a few months.

Even though the gas is not hooked up, can the heat pump portion of the system still be ran. I realize I should have asked the install company, but I wasn't expecting to use heat before the changeover was complete. And it's getting chilly. Common sense tells me the gas has nothing to do with the heat pump and I can use it as long as it doesn't reach the set point for the switchover to gas. (which it won't tonight.) So is my common sense correct?

Thanks.

I cant be 100% sure because i dont know the exact system your talking about, but i would imagine that your correct, the heat pump has nothing to do with gas. So running the HP would be fine. Even if you didnt have the gas hooked up and ran the heat which required the gas, it wouldnt do any real damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tmaximum8 View Post
    I cant be 100% sure because i dont know the exact system your talking about, but i would imagine that your correct, the heat pump has nothing to do with gas. So running the HP would be fine. Even if you didnt have the gas hooked up and ran the heat which required the gas, it wouldnt do any real damage.
    bad suggestion dude!!!

I take it you haven't seen a LP furnace run on low pressure.

it gets pretty ugly!!! that black stuff won't come out of your clothes to good.

BTW, why has it taken soooo long to get the conversion kit for OP's furnace??

Some t-stats have a setting for HP or HP + aux. heat. If yours does you can switch it to HP only and it won't keep trying to kick on the furnace during the defrost. If not then still won't hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    bad suggestion dude!!!

I take it you haven't seen a LP furnace run on low pressure.

it gets pretty ugly!!! that black stuff won't come out of your clothes to good.

BTW, why has it taken soooo long to get the conversion kit for OP's furnace??
    It's a NG furnace. Read the OP. No meter yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tmaximum8 View Post

my bad,got carried away, in that case, how will he run the heat if the meter is not hooked up??

He won't run the furnace for heat, just the compressor.

If the meter is going to take some time and you still have LP is the furnace one that can be easily changed? Obviously it would require a low pressure regulator at a minimum. Some appliances are easy to convert, others impossible (or at least impractical ).

If you're running with just the heat pump I'd pull W1 (and W2 if 2 stage) at either the furnace or the tstat just to be sure the furnace can't receive a call for heat which might lock out the furnace when it discovers a fault with the gas.

Out here its wait for the meter to get installed, then hook up the gas plumbing, then call for gas inspection (appliances should not be hooked up), then get the meter unpinned and the appliances hooked up, then call for final mechanical inspection. All that can take some time. Especially if the inspector finds something that has to be added or redone.

The system was originally set up to run propane. At the time, I wasn't sure if NG was an option. I inquired to the NG company and they extended the main line down the road a little to reach our house. Since it was became an option, I decided to switch. That's why I am running into this situation.

I don't think it will get below 40 tonight, so would I need to be concerned about it going into defrost mode?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    I don't think it will get below 40 tonight, so would I need to be concerned about it going into defrost mode?
    Or you could check with your contractor about temporarilly switching the Low Temperature Cutout point to 40 degrees. What's it set at now?

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    my bad,got carried away, in that case, how will he run the heat if the meter is not hooked up??
    Come on man, you're making us Bama boys look bad.......It's duel fuel. It will be using the heat pump for heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alden_Sloe View Post
    Or you could check with your contractor about temporarilly switching the Low Temperature Cutout point to 40 degrees. What's it set at now?
    Dang, I guess this isn't as cut and dried as I hoped. Is the "low temp cutout" the same as the switchover temp from HP to the gas furnace? I guess I will just play it safe and not use the heat yet till everything is ready. Personally I don't think it's that cold in the house, but the wife gets chilly easy. So I that is why I was inquiring about it.

Thanks again for the help.

You can use your heat pump.
    If it needs to go into defrost, you'll have some cold air during defrost. No big deal.
    If your contractor has the HP lock out set to 40, and it reaches 40 tonight.
    No heat, still no problem caused by you using the heat pump when it was above lock out temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast