I'm after some advice based on a future project I have. I have a friend who works in HVAC who will do my install, so, yes I will be consulting an expert. But as the inquizative person that I am I would like to have done all the research before moving forward.
My current situation
I currenlty have a second floor condo that is part of a two family property. The condo is about 1,100 sq feet (2 beds, 1 bath, 1 kitchen, 1 dining room, 1 family room). The current heating system is steam with the boiler located in the Basement. The boiler runs on Natural Gas.
We own the attic space and are going to be building an additional floor which will add an extra 850 sq feet. During this addition I plan on putting in a new HVAC system and remove the steam heating.
I had a few thoughts as to what I would like but have been trying to compare the options without being able to determin which is best.
My requirements are:
- heat to be provided by Natural Gas
- Provide cooling and heating to both the existing 2nd floor and the new 3rd floor
- Blower unit cannot be in the basement, it must be located within the new addition.
- Second floor and new (third) floor must be contralable with different thermostats.
- Two seperate blower units, each with their own furnace. Also, each would have their own condensor.
- Single blower with hydro air. This would mean that the blower unit would be in the new adision but the boiler could be added to the basement.
So what other options do I have? Would it be beneficial to have two blower units, 1 per floor or is that overkill and not needed?
Am I better off leveraging a furnace along side the blower unit or is a boiler with hydro air more efficient? (space for either of them is not an issue).
Are there other options that I can consider?
Thanks for any advice,