Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Beenthere, question for you. The new HP I am putting in will be 3.5 ton with a VS 4 ton air handler. This heats/cools upper and lower level of a contemporary ranch with about 2700 sq feet. I want to add a humidifier to this unit.

I also have a separate HP (not VS) that heats and cools about 1800 sq feet. This is an addition that ties to the existing house on both upper and lower levels.

Would you recommned a humidifier on both units or just on the new HP I'm installing? I was thinking doing the 600a on the new unit but thought that 2 500a's would be better. But then it will be a lot more hot water consumption which will add up. Thanks. Both HP are electric backup.

Probably better off with a 600 on the new system, and a 500 on the addition.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Probably better off with a 600 on the new system, and a 500 on the addition.
    Contractor just visited and he recommended 2 flow through Skuttle humidifiers. I think they were 55 series. How does these sound?

Thats the under duct mount series.
    If your duct work is slightly under sized.
    They can interfer with air flow.
    Contractor locator map

Beenthere. Yes, they are the under duct mount. His first recommendation was the Honeywell steam but I did not want to spend that much nor pay the associated monthly cost to run it. We discussed bypass humidifiers and his opinion was they were okay but you would loose humidifier efficiency with a bypass and they are not as good with HP's. That brought us to the flow through which I had an 8" deep duct and the skuttled needed about 7 5/8" to mount. Said this would be more efficient than a bypass. Do you agree as well or should I push him on a bypass model. They seem to prefer skuttle since the local distributor sells these and they get great service from them. Thanks

Both bypass, and powered work ok on heat pumps, if they are connected to the hot water line.

I have a low opinion of under duct humidifiers. Anything in the air flow path is a restriction.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Both bypass, and powered work ok on heat pumps, if they are connected to the hot water line.

I have a low opinion of under duct humidifiers. Anything in the air flow path is a restriction.
    Thanks Beenthere. My contractor does not seem to keen on the bypass but its not his money to spend. Anyone else have an opinion before I make a decison on bypass/powered/flow through on a HP? Thanks

Trion makes a model 707-U that looks kind of interesting. Has anyone had any experience with it? It's a centrifugal atomizing humidifier which I'd never heard of before.

One of the problems I have in the job I'm working on now is that the heat is radiant so keeping the air handlers going all winter just for humidification doesn't make a lot of sense. If I could run on low, say 300 cfm it wouldn't be that bad because the blowers all have ECM motors which don't use much power at low speed. Unfortunately the spec's on the humidifiers want 100 fpm minimum to avoid condensation which means running the fan on high.

What I like about the Trion is that it can be mounted someplace like the crawl and ducted into the house independent of the air conditioning. Since the water vapor should migrate pretty well on its own that means I don't have to run the blowers at all. Plus it uses significantly less power than a steam humidifier. The only problem is I can't find anyone who has used one so I don't know how well they work.

One other question. Anybody every heard of a whole house ultrasonic humidifier? Something like the Trion but using ultrasonics instead of a spinning disk.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345