Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Which Humidifier to install for heat pump system

I have a heatpump/air handler system (Richmond. KY) and would like to install a whole house humidifier. I do not want to consume a tremendous amount of water and do not want to double my electric bill. I do not have a floor drain , only condensation pump on air handler. Which humidifier do you recommend???

I have seen many different opinions about the honeywell, aprilaire, and desertspring.

What would you reccomend for DIY and which for pro install?

for diy a nice tabletop should do the trick...

for pro install either a powered humidifier or steam are the only ones that will work right with a heat pump.

where does condensate pump to?

Or you could tighten the home so you don't need a humidifier. Works wonders on the heating & cooling bills too!

usually don't need a humidifier on a HP system

i would seek loonie's advice
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    usually don't need a humidifier on a HP system

i would seek loonie's advice
    You don't need a humidifier with a heat pump unless you're going dual fuel. It's a waste of money otherwise and I don't think I want water anywhere near the strip heaters.

I have never personally seen a humidifier on a heat pump. Maybe just my location, but I've never heard of that.

humidifier

Yes I have a heat pumpthat works pretty good in the winter but as usual does not work too good below 20 degrees. When the strips turn on in the air handler you can feel the moisture being sucked out of the air. The small portable units are OK but I would rather install a whole house unit on the air handler. My son has eczema and it flares up in winter when it gets dry.
    Would making the house air tight help under these conditions? How?

What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You don't need a humidifier with a heat pump unless you're going dual fuel. It's a waste of money otherwise and I don't think I want water anywhere near the strip heaters.
    lol humidifier is far away from strip heat its not a big deal lol

and he said HP not dual fuel

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by ebanks View Post
    Yes I have a heat pumpthat works pretty good in the winter but as usual does not work too good below 20 degrees. When the strips turn on in the air handler you can feel the moisture being sucked out of the air. The small portable units are OK but I would rather install a whole house unit on the air handler. My son has eczema and it flares up in winter when it gets dry.
    Would making the house air tight help under these conditions? How?

What would you recommend?
    tighter house will allow less of your humid air to escape to the drier air outdoors

there used to be a humidifier kit that was available for heat pumps the misted the indoor coil lose some efficiency by doing so.

there are plenty of humidifier products available that should help you with your indoor conditions and your sons health have you located a local contractor to help with this? do you record your indoor temp and humidity conditios throughout the year? you can record whether or not your indoor air is dry or not. it is standard for the indoor air to be between 30 and 50% RH. if you are above 50%RH then you have other problems

Over the past couple of years we have monitored the RH to be around 20 to 25 in the dead of winter. Our skin gets very dry.

Is there a name brand that I should eb looking for?

Is there a style that I should be looking for? pads, wheels, steam, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    lol humidifier is far away from strip heat its not a big deal lol

and he said HP not dual fuel
    I don't know where you install them. If you install them in an air handler it would be a few feet away from the suppy side of the air handler which is where MOST strip heats are. So maybe 1-2 feet. A bit close for a water source that is as fallible as anything in an hvac system. That is why we install drain pans from plenum to plenum, water is your enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by ebanks View Post
    Over the past couple of years we have monitored the RH to be around 20 to 25 in the dead of winter. Our skin gets very dry.

Is there a name brand that I should eb looking for?

Is there a style that I should be looking for? pads, wheels, steam, etc.
    i would use a blow through pad style that many manu's make. what brand of equipment do you own. i am sure they have thier own humidifier. if not i have used many aprilaire without any problems

On a heat pump, if you use a flow through, it will work better if you hook it to the hot water line.

And it doen't matter if you use a heat pump or gas furnace. Its the air infiltration(leaky house) that causes low humidity.

I don't care if the discharge air temp is 80 or 180°, it doesn't matter.
    Its your house that needs sealed better.

The reason you take notice to the lower humidity when he aux is coming on. Is because, the humidity in the colder fresh air coming into your house is lower.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast