Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Chiller lost it's oil

I'm a small contractor that was asked to look at a Carrier centrifugal chiller in a hospital, Carrier got the job to repair. My question is, there was no oil in this machine that should of had 8 gal of PP47-31 polyester oil. Maintenance stated that there were a couple of power outages one evening due to a thunder storm. When they noticed something was wrong, the machine was making very loud noises. Said they thought it was single phazing, it has phaze protection. When Carrier fired the machine, maintenance said it was making a grinding noise. Carrier has a job on their hands, but where could the oil have gone to? In the evaporator barrel? Carrier / Model# 19XRT6363382CPH64S / R-134A

The oil is out in the condenser and evaporator, if it isn't on the floor. Did it get cold started after the power outage?
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

19XRT, big bucks to repair, only a handfull out there. It's no longer made.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Like Randy S. said the oil is probably in the condenser. The question is why. Short power outages should not cause this. Being a hospital they probably screwed it up somehow and are looking for an excuse.

Running with no oil & noisy listen to absrbetek. Big $’s

How did it run with no oil pressure ?

How did that happen?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

condenser

short cycles will throw it all out in the condenser and not give it time to return sounds bad though

"Turn out the lights, the check book is open!"
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

What I know about centrifugal chiller you could probably write on the head of a pin, but I'm betting the phase monitor isn't O.E.M. Someone replaced it with an O.T.C. because the factory one was just too expensive.

It has a ISM module that does protection. Should have taken it off.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Smile

If the power outage with a long time and the water temperature is high. The refrigerant will mix into the oils. After you re-power the control. the refrigerant will come out from the oil by the oil heater heating the oils. But if too much refrigerants mixed into to the oils, the oils will evaporate to the cooler and condenser on this moment. Is no ome check the level and fill the oils to correct oil level and re-start the chiller. The thrust bearing will damage at the first time!
    Can

If the chiller was restarted with cold oil temp, someone is buying a bearing job.Ouch! I'd have though a low oil pressor/ low oil temp sensor would lock it out though. Maint. people have a nasty habit of jumping out system safety devices.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

These machines (and other brands) have oil loss protection controls installed as standard issue. It sounds like someone tried to force the unit back on line when it wasn't ready. It will be interesting to see what is found during the repair. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by WLAC View Post
    I'm a small contractor that was asked to look at a Carrier centrifugal chiller in a hospital, Carrier got the job to repair. My question is, there was no oil in this machine that should of had 8 gal of PP47-31 polyester oil. Maintenance stated that there were a couple of power outages one evening due to a thunder storm. When they noticed something was wrong, the machine was making very loud noises. Said they thought it was single phazing, it has phaze protection. When Carrier fired the machine, maintenance said it was making a grinding noise. Carrier has a job on their hands, but where could the oil have gone to? In the evaporator barrel? Carrier / Model# 19XRT6363382CPH64S / R-134A

Is this in Brockton?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast