Unhappy Loud Vibrating Inducer Motor Making Me Nuts!

We bought our condo recently; we have a Bryant Furnace that's about 10 years old.

Sorry I can't tell you much about the furnace, but I can give you a model number -
    383KAV038070AGIA

Had an HVAC tech out to clean & inspect. We knew that the inducer motor was rattling very loudly anytime the furnace was on. I asked what it would take to lessen this noise.

He said his best suggestion was to replace the inducer motor, since it was looking worn. (Other than that, the furnace is looking pretty good.)

He replaced it, tightened things up, and it's as loud as ever. He said it's because of the way the motor is mounted - that's it's basically "floating" on these Bryant models, and there's nothing that can be done about the rattling noise.

Is this true ? Are we doomed to a very noisy winter? Thanks for your help! Have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdelite View Post
    We bought our condo recently; we have a Bryant Furnace that's about 10 years old.

Sorry I can't tell you much about the furnace, but I can give you a model number -
    383KAV038070AGIA

Had an HVAC tech out to clean & inspect. We knew that the inducer motor was rattling very loudly anytime the furnace was on. I asked what it would take to lessen this noise.

He said his best suggestion was to replace the inducer motor, since it was looking worn. (Other than that, the furnace is looking pretty good.)

He replaced it, tightened things up, and it's as loud as ever. He said it's because of the way the motor is mounted - that's it's basically "floating" on these Bryant models, and there's nothing that can be done about the rattling noise.

Is this true ? Are we doomed to a very noisy winter? Thanks for your help! Have a great weekend.
    Did he replace just the motor or did he replace the entire motor, wheel and housing assembly??
    I need a new signature.....

Unless you have a bad motor right out of the box, no.

If he re laced the motor grommets and other hardware it should not be noisy.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 10-18-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Not sure exactly what components were replaced, I'll give him a call. Thanks for your quick responses.

Hello, I'm back to continue the story & ask for more of your advice:

The inducer motor ended up blowing/ceasing over the weekend! Sounded like a chainsaw coming through the wall.

Anyway - he came & replaced it. And - it's still loud. Not as bad as before but still very loud.

I asked what was replaced, and he said "Everything. It comes as one piece."

The utility closet/furnace is located on our main floor, just off the kitchen/dining area.

This guy said we just have one of the louder furnaces & it's as good as it will get.

I just have a hard time buying that. I can't imagine other people living with this noise. Visitors say "whoa, what is that noise?" when it kicks on. You have to crank up the TV, raise your voices, etc....

Wondering if we should call in a 2nd opinion or what.

Thanks for listening to my story - I appreciate any advice & will heed it.

Have a good weekend!

If it is installed correctly it should not be that loud. Yes, you will be able to hear it, but with the closet door shut it should be just a low hum. I would first try to talk to the manager of the service dept before I called someone else.

It's probably the blower wheel hitting inside the pocket it sits in. You have to get it in their just right. If I remember correctly, they are kinda flimsy and you have to manipulate them a bit to get them to work properly and not hit the walls. They aren't silent when they run, but there is a manageable level of noise they can get too.

IMO I would call and talk with the company owner and get a second even a third opinion for the simple fact theres a possiblity the first company may just stand behind his service tech, and it's always a good idea to get sendond and third opinions especially if the first company has been out there 2 times for the same problem, therefore it's a good idea to get a fresh set of eye's and ears to look into the on going problem.

From personal experience I have replaced the whole set to include the motor,
    bracket and grommets. Some were still noisey as hell till I found our the plastic blower wheel (Don't know if yours has one) was sliding on the shaft and rubbing on the housing. And there were a few that were just plain noisey and I couldn't do a thing.

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Update?

How did it work out with your loud inducer? Did you get it fixed and what parts were replaced?
    I'm having the same problem and debating whether to replace the motor, the wheel, or the entire housing. I have a Carrier 58PAV. It's 12 years old. For the experts reading this, I might have made it worse, when about a week ago, I wiggle the housing around, to try to quiet the noise. It did help. But, a week later, it's now back worse.
    Thanks!