Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Furnace blower overly noisy?

Have been in a new build house for almost 3 years. Purchased a high efficiency Carrier furnace to be installed with the build.

From the very start, the furnace was loud. The company that did the installation cleaned the blower wheel of drywall dust and it helped with some of the noise. Once summer came and the blower ramped up for A/C, it got really noisy. The main floor return was where the bulk of the noise came through. Called the installer again, but all they did was turn the fan speed down so it wasn't as loud. I delt with it until it started getting louder.

This spring I decided to finally get something done about the blower noise. I discovered on my own something the installer missed every time they came out, the return duct going into the furnace was undersized. I hired a company to take a look and they did the quick calculations for my system and sure enough, it was undersized by 2". They replaced the return that the upstairs and main floor returns fed into, but the noise actually got a little worse.

Since the furnace was still under warranty, I hired the local Carrier dealer and warranty people to take a look at it. They believed it was either the blower motor or the main floor return was undersized. Carrier told the dealer it was probably mechanical and they replaced the blower motor. Noticed a huge reduction in the noise I was hearing from the main floor return, but I started noticing a vibrational hum. Almost like a clothes dryer was running in an adjoining room.

The noise appears to be in the same location of the furnace that the previous noise was coming from. It seems to be a vibrational hum that you can hear on the main floor and through the return air duct on the main floor. Since we have never had a quiet blower motor, is this normal? Is it the blower motor or something else vibrating? The Carrier installer & warranty company suggested a new Infinity furnace for quiet operation. Yikes, alot of money! There has to be a better solution. Help!!!!!!

Edit out the price, its not allowed here.

Have them check the blower wheel, see if its out of balance.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Edit out the price, its not allowed here.

Have them check the blower wheel, see if its out of balance.

ditto

Carrier warranty company replaced blower wheel early on, thinking that could be the source of the noise. Although the old one appeared to be slightly warped, it didn't seem to make a difference in noise with a brand new one. About a month later is when they also replaced the blower motor. So at this point the blower motor and wheel have both been replaced.

Might be something got sucked into the blower wheel, putting it out of balance. If you open it up and look at it you might see a piece of insulation or something stuck in it. That's an easy fix if that's what happened.

Edit: Do not do this unless you are CERTAIN the power is turned off to it.

Have them set up an appointment for the CARRIER rep to come out with them.
    Not just talk about the noise over the phone.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I personally do not think it is Carriers fault. Sounds like a install issue, you should not have a loud heating system with any brand if installed properly.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

gshort71

I believe you have an installation problem with harmonic sounds in the duct system. Why don't you consult your installation manual and have your installer go over the job with you? Carrier is known for quiet operation should the unit be installed properly. You stated the duct sizing was inadequate how is the workmanship on the total install? Just a few suggestions for you to check out. The last thing you need is a new furnace!

The Carrier warranty company also pulled the furnace to clean it and check for problems. Other than being extremely dirty from the build, it appeared fine. Could they have reinstalled it improperly or was it already that way and they just returned it to its original state when reconnecting it?

Have someone check your duct installation to insure it is sized/installed correctly and see what the static pressure is. This should be done and not just guessed at.

I have talked to the service rep and Carrier rep, together. They think it could be to much air flow and will be coming out to check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by gshort71 View Post
    I have talked to the service rep and Carrier rep, together. They think it could be to much air flow and will be coming out to check things out.
    Never heard of too much airflow. Can someone explain this to me?

Do you have metal ducting and if so, are there isolation dampers before and after the airhandler.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast