Goodman electrical efficiency?

Several months ago I had a tiny pinhole leak in my Goodman A/C lineset. Even though the attic unit coils froze up solid because of the leak, my HVAC tech told me the compressor wasn't damaged.

As a result of the failing unit, which occurred this past August, my electrical bill during that month skyrocketed. Last year I used about 2500 kWh of electricity in August. This year, my usage was more than 3500 kWh.

Now, even though the problem has been fixed, it seems like I'm using more power than ever before. Even in October, my 2008 usage went up 400 kWh from 1624 last year. Since A/C's are usually the biggest consumers of electrical energy in a typical home, I'm wondering if the unit is operating at peak electrical efficiency. Is there anyway to determine this?

Thanks,
    Kelly

The Rated Load Amps for my 3-ton Goodman condenser is 13.4 amps. The 3.5 ton unit draws 16 amps, 4-ton is 18.3 amps, 5 ton is 19.8 amps. These currents are maximum draw for the condenser (based on high summer outdoor temperatures).

For the 3-ton condenser:
    13.4 amps x 220 volts = 2948 watts = 2.948 kw.

If the condenser runs 12 hours/day for 1 month: 2.948 x 12 x 30 = 1061 kw.

You can use this number, or plug in your own power draw/usage time, to see what the condenser power draw should be.

Your total power draw is very high. Electric driers use a lot of power, so do electric hot water tanks and old refrigerators.

You may have something grounded which is contributing to your high power draw. Your electric company can take readings that will tell you this.

Good luck.

So, what dose the name Goodman have to do with this? If the leak was in the lineset, brand name shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    So, what dose the name Goodman have to do with this? If the leak was in the lineset, brand name shouldn't matter.
    What he said.

You need a tech that knows how to check performance to come out, to determine if its working properly.

Even if you have an accurate temp probe, and amp meter. It won't tell you much.

Its more then possible to get the factory amp draws, and it be no where near operating the way it should.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post

LOL I was thinking the same thing and was waiting for a person to defend Goodman!
    Top 2 reasons HVAC companies fail:

1- Not enough starting capital

2- DON'T CHARGE ENOUGH!

" I had rather work a little and make a lot than work a lot and make a little"

Quote Originally Posted by MidlandsHVAC View Post
    LOL I was thinking the same thing and was waiting for a person to defend Goodman!
    Goodman's got nothing to do with a leak in the line set, dose it? I'm not defending anyone. If the equipment was leaking, that's a different story.

oh ok it just sounded as if you were pointing out it had nothing to do with goodman. lol it was just funny there are a lot of goodman apologist around
    Top 2 reasons HVAC companies fail:

1- Not enough starting capital

2- DON'T CHARGE ENOUGH!

" I had rather work a little and make a lot than work a lot and make a little"