Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cannot get hot water in new home without Circulation Pump being On

We have a Grundfos Type UP15-29SUC-TLC, Part #5889-6777 w/ check valve installed in our new home. However, if we turn this unit off and flush out all hot water lines and hot water heater, wait for water heater to heat up again, we can only get hot water in laundry room and master bath shower, only warm water in master bath sinks, tub, kitchen sink, and spare bath shower, and sink.

Is this right, that if they circulate your water lines for this pump that you have to it basically on all the time if you want hot water throughout home all the time????

call your plumber and have him check your fixtures

Unless its a instant hot ( or whatever it's called) setup, seen a couple before. The hot water is piped in a loop with the fixtures branched off, the circ pump keeps water moving around the loop and back to the heater. So within a second or two of opening you've got hot water coming out of the faucet. It's the only reason I can think of to have a pump in a residential domestic water system unless the pressures really bad.

Unless its a instant hot ( or whatever it's called) setup, seen a couple before. The hot water is piped in a loop with the fixtures branched off, the circ pump keeps water moving around the loop and back to the heater. So within a second or two of opening you've got hot water coming out of the faucet. It's the only reason I can think of to have a pump in a residential domestic water system unless the pressures really bad. You could put in a time clock, set for when you tend to use hot water, if this is what you have.

I think somebodies servers wiggin out.

The plumber has changed all filters in faucets and even replaced the grundfos hot water circulating pump. However, if we turn it off, we do not have hot water throughout house.

It does have a timer, but if you set it right for Monday thru Friday, it changes on weekends. Only if you leave it on 100% of time, do I have hot water all the time.

My concern, what if this thing breaks or they decide not to use them anymore, does this mean my home will not have hot water!! What kind of deal is that?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrum View Post
    The plumber has changed all filters in faucets and even replaced the grundfos hot water circulating pump. However, if we turn it off, we do not have hot water throughout house.

It does have a timer, but if you set it right for Monday thru Friday, it changes on weekends. Only if you leave it on 100% of time, do I have hot water all the time.

My concern, what if this thing breaks or they decide not to use them anymore, does this mean my home will not have hot water!! What kind of deal is that?

it is a recirc line and the pump is designed to run continously
    there should be a thermastat on the line to turn the pump on and off by water temp.

you even without the pump should still be getting hot water it just takes longer and if the pipe runs are extremely long the water heater may not have enough capacity to handle it runs

your plumber should be able to solve this very easly but it may cost

the timer isnt needed

if it breaks you replace it. Grundfos has been around a long time, even if they did go belly up you have some other manufactures that make a replacement.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

if it works while its running why would you turn it off ...look at the top of the water heater and see if the pipe nipples have arrows...

I'm not a plumber, so I'm likely wrong, but why would you use a thermostatic control on something that's supposed to stay the same temp? And I might worry about wear from starting and stopping if it was a 25+ HP motor. Grasslin makes some really nice time clocks that every day can be set for multiple on-off periods. Why have it running while you're sleeping, or if everyone's gone at the same time daily?
    Here's the timer, simple, rugged, what I'd put if it was mine.

http://www.intermatic.com/Default.as...cid=121&did=44

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    if it breaks you replace it. Grundfos has been around a long time, even if they did go belly up you have some other manufactures that make a replacement.
    Did they go belly up? Well, the recirc pump works, it just that if it is off, then we have no hot water at all in kitchen sink and spare bath.

Frown

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalgsxr View Post
    if it works while its running why would you turn it off ...look at the top of the water heater and see if the pipe nipples have arrows...
    Here again we were running 24/7 however, when we received a high electric bill, we thought maybe this is the problem, due to the fact I have read the water heater is pretty much running all the time to heat up the recirculating water, which is expensive to run.

In addition, I was wondering why do I need this thing, so what I have to wait a little bit on hot water, but I guess I don't have that option, if it's off, no hot water. Go figure

Here again we were running 24/7 however, when we received a high electric bill, we thought maybe this is the problem, due to the fact I have read the water heater is pretty much running all the time to heat up the recirculating water, which is expensive to run.

In addition, I was wondering why do I need this thing, so what I have to wait a little bit on hot water, but I guess I don't have that option, if it's off, no hot water. Go figure
    did you check the pipe nipples coming out of your water heater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast