Gas Grill Burner Replacement

I need to replace the H burner on my CharmGlow grill. The replacement options are Stainless Steel or Cast Iron. The price of the two is only a few dollars different. Any opinions on which will last longer and/or cook better? I've used stainless in the past and that seems to last about three seasons (the OEM aluminized steel is a one year deal). No experience with the cast iron but it seems like with an H burner configuration with ceramic "brickets" on grate above the cast iron might help spread out the heat more evenly.

i have found the cast iron burners last much longer.

went to charcoal this year for the first time in 25 yrs.

don't think i'll be buying any gas burner parts for a while...........

Thanks! For the few dollars extra I'll give the cast iron a try. If it last an extra season or two then I'm way ahead of the game and if it cooks better it's a bonus. Now that we have NG run to the house I'll be converting it over from propane too. No more running out of gas with the steaks half done

I think cast will work better for heat distribution.This is off subject but,on sunday my regulator went bad on my grill.It was mid gam arizona/dallas.There was no way I was leaving to get a new one.So I grabbed the hose and reg from my turkey fryer and slapped it on . This regulator is adjustale! you know I had to turn up once just to see what it would do.Whoooooo baby did I have some serious fire power for the tri tips I was grilling.
    I am only as good as the problems I've solved.

Regulator?? I don't need no stinking regulator

To diverge even farther OT, I have a converter kit for my Yamaha generator which has an adjustable regulator to let it run on either Propane (travel trailer) or NG (home back-up gen). 'Bout that time of year when I should be getting that project on the front burner, so to speak

I'll report back on the cooking characteristics with the cast iron. We sure like being able to use our collection of cast iron skillets now that we have a gas range. Always had the wood cook stove to use them with but that takes more work and skill than you're typically up for after a day at the salt mines... did someone say salt? Cast Iron?? I smell BACON
    Last edited by Alden_Sloe; 10-16-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Oh yeah...