View Poll Results: Which distributor do you like to use?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • ALPS

7 15.91%
  • BCCI

1 2.27%
  • Engenuity

1 2.27%
  • KELE

17 38.64%
  • Partner program from controls vendor

9 20.45%
  • Other

9 20.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My order is:
    1. Partner Program - it's easy and can do almost all ordering online.
    2. Engenuity - same reasons and my partner program doesn't have some of the stuff they do.
    3. ALPS - although I just started ordering from them.
    4. KELE - I like some of the stuff they do, but their shipping is horrible, bought multiple parts that could have been taped to a postcard and sent and they sent individual pieces in like 5"x5"x5" boxes. This happened multiple times and this last time I wrote them off after calling and complaining and not getting a callback. $70 in parts cost me $55 in shipping when all the parts could have been shipped in one box, granted I didn't check the ship at once as the last time one little terminal bar (a 70 cent item) held up my $500 shipment.
    5. Never heard of BCCI.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Jogas, I got to put that back in my tag line.... (t but v)

Me. And people like me who value your business and support you. Shameless plug that I will not go to market here on the web
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

That's OK. but did you vote?.... and are you in the list and did you vote for yourself?...

I didnt vote and heres why

Alps-Good prices, they dont carry the panels/products I use regularly. They are to my understanding the official controls product distributors for Linc franchises. My counterpart at one of our other branches buys from them, but I dont like their website or ordering. One of the sales ladies has been trying to get my business for years, when I switched from Kele earlier this year I had a rush bid and it took them 2 days to get back to me(when it was supposed to be handled as soon as they received it.

BCCI-I assume Building Controls Connection, who I use currently. Really good prices, they have botched a couple of orders and I hate drop shipping but they are my main supplier.

Engenuity-Never ordered from, we dont do LON

Kele-Since I started in controls I bought from them. After my counterpart at another branch was telling me about his panel prices and after searching over the few panel threads I found out about Building Controls Connection. Went back to Kele and told them I pay X for this and they are charging me X, gave examples, they wouldnt lower their prices and let me tell you they are expensive. Being in La though their regular shipping usually gets to me next day, also the majority of their tech support is top notch. Their is a guy in tech support there named Toby the guy is one of if not the best tech support person I have had the pleasure to deal with, if you have a problem and have to call them I highly recommend you request him.

One vendor left off the list is CappUSA, I havent purchased any controls components I use from them but if you need a packing kit for a 15 year old valve, a diaphragm for a 30 year old vav or a pnuematic actuator no one else has in stock they have it all and great prices too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Kele – One stop shopping, fast delivery at a good price.

Belimo – Buy direct, they back there product like none other. Die hard orange man.

BCCI – Cheap panels, great service.

Controls partnership for ACI, Veris, & HW.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    One vendor left off the list is CappUSA, I havent purchased any controls components I use from them but if you need a packing kit for a 15 year old valve, a diaphragm for a 30 year old vav or a pnuematic actuator no one else has in stock they have it all and great prices too.
    CAPPUSA......Good prices..., and They can get most anything,......but you wait forever to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    CAPPUSA......Good prices..., and They can get most anything,......but you wait forever to get it.
    Cmon freddy anything I've ever needed in a flash they have got it to me

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    ....I found out about Building Controls Connection. Went back to Kele and told them I pay X for this and they are charging me X, gave examples, they wouldnt lower their prices and let me tell you they are expensive. ....
    I think sometimes it's the relationship you develop. I've had suppliers in the past step up to the plate and match/beat on certain products. I try to be respectful when asking them and show them where they were off and give them opportunity to do something about it. However, I never nit-picked the smaller items on the order if close with anybody.

KELE and ACI for peripherals and Valve solutions for valve bodies and actuators.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    I think sometimes it's the relationship you develop. I've had suppliers in the past step up to the plate and match/beat on certain products. I try to be respectful when asking them and show them where they were off and give them opportunity to do something about it. However, I never nit-picked the smaller items on the order if close with anybody.

I thought I had a good relationship and I was respectful.

We are a mechanical contractor/maintenance first, slowly getting our controls monster running(thanks to the work of other local contractors). With that being said, if I have a maintenance customer that could use controls and I can get it on one of their units for next to nothing cost to us, its a win/win, we show value in the maintenance contract and then show the customer "look what we can do for you", especially one that never had an interest in controls.

Now if I have been doing business with Kele for a few years, compare prices and find that someone I have never done business with that I can buy 3 power supplies for the price of 2 from Kele, I buy from the second distributor, throw the third on the shelf and have a spare for these maintenance instances or on a job where I need to get in low.

I tried for 4 months emailing/calling a contact at Kele, the price cuts they gave me were a slap in the face. I turned around went to BCCI and dropped 13,000 in 2 weeks(alot for us), needless to say even if this was put towards my account at Kele they still couldnt match BCCI's prices. BTW Kele's prices were almost 2 to 3 on every item we purchase from them, from panels to relays

BTW I deal directly with Belimo and ACI(if no one has had the pleasure of dealing with him talk to Travis Haas, a dam good guy). Also on the freq drive side I buy through Grainger but use Square D(some of the best dam tech support out there)
    Last edited by joey791; 10-16-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add Kele parts spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Jogas, I got to put that back in my tag line.... (t but v)
    Everyones looking for a reliable "preferred" subcontractor or vendor you can go to without having to take the time to get 2 to 3 other quotes. Problem is, subs are prone to get too comfortable with the relationship.
    IMHO, You have got to make sure THEY realize you are keeping them honest.
    This is one of my rules of the business of the business.
    Taught to me by a wise mentor.
    Jogas
    Four wheel therapy, my 1968 Camaro is gone and will be missed

If you don't check, nobody else will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast