Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to decide between 2 companies

I need a new a/c system, and I am considering both of these companies: www.airforcem.com and www.northtexashvac.com. What questions should I ask to ensure I get an honest deal?

ask for refrences

The lowest price does not equal a quality job.

Are they nate certified and with bbb, do they know what a magnahelic gauge is. How do they size the equiptment they put in and make sure they run a load on your house useing a computer to properly size the equipment. If your unit died due to undersized duct work are they going to tell you so you dont have to replace again anytime soon. Pay more and get a unit you have heard of not some builder grade crap and make sure its 410a that they install

Twilli says listen too this and decide..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WMHBJu8Tg you have about 3 minutes
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I like a good chunk of DjSoBe’s response. He’s telling you to make sure they do the job right.

Most companies don’t do it right, fancy websites notwithstanding. (Speaking of their websites, be very weary of questionable IAQ products and services being tacked on to the bid.) Even though a car is many times more complex, the average homeowner knows more about their car than they do their furnace. That ignorance means some customers have no clue what an HVAC contractor should be doing. The contractor in turn often has barely a clue himself. He can show you OEM glossies to make the sale. He can hook up pipes and wires and make the system blow hot and cold. But does he understand how to properly engineer the system so that your home is getting the best comfort and efficiency possible? Generally not. Usually they install by rule of thumb handed down from someone who has no idea why they do what they do.

Learn what the contractor should be doing. The first link in my signature gives more details. Ask those kinds of questions.

As for NATE, the BBB and the rest – They’re better than nothing. However, the biggest crook in my local market has all that and more. NATE certification and BBB membership prove nothing about how they're going to install your system.

Call your local electricity supplier

Many times they have a list of contractors whom they install energy efficient equipment-these tend to be very good companies.

Ask the questions. Its your money and times are tough, so you should get their best.

Don't be afraid to spend a little more to upgrade your equipment, more XX$ more we had an Amana ASZ-18 installed over the ASZ-16.

This is equipment that will be at your abode for 15-25 years, I'd get the best I could afford.

Good luck

Dave my sister lives outside Sherman, last year I interviewed several contractors in your area. I found one that took very good care of her and does excellent work for a valued price.

I will find his name tonight and send it to you.

Exactly where are you in Denton or North Dallas?

This reply may be too late, but, you should ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion.

I went on a ride-along with a Senior Technician to a home where a Service Tech from the same company had condemned a unit just to make a sales commission (told the customer she needed a whole new unit). The technician I was with popped a blade fuse out of his truck and replaced a blown one in the system and it fired right up. $+ diagnoses...$ repair. The Senior Tech I was with went back to the office and quit his job because of the incident. The customer called the Better Business Bureau and ended up getting the company shut down.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-01-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Quote Originally Posted by COMMERCIALnick View Post

I went on a ride-along with a Senior Technician to a home where a Service Tech from the same company had condemned a unit just to make a sales commission (told the customer she needed a whole new unit). The technician I was with popped a blade fuse out of his truck and replaced a blown one in the system and it fired right up. $+ diagnoses...$ repair. The Senior Tech I was with went back to the office and quit his job because of the incident. The customer called the Better Business Bureau and ended up getting the company shut down.
    Wow unbelievable
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Wow unbelievable
    Yea. Since the BBB has no power.

Its a for profit business. No goverment association.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says listen too this and decide..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WMHBJu8Tg you have about 3 minutes
    fking hillarious.

Quote Originally Posted by COMMERCIALnick View Post

oh come on...

many of us have been on calls where "the guy who just left says I need a new unit" while I find it hard to believe a blown fuse would get a new equipment sale, I've seen plenty of capacitors being the cause of changeout quotes...

diagnostics are key. service vs salesman is a tough call for the homeowner...
    reputation and evidence are needed to make the call. warranty is important too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast