Thread: Variable speed?

Question Variable speed?

Am looking to replace my 12 year old York 10 seer 2 ton heat pump and air handler. Live in a 1200 sq ft 2 story condo (2nd and 3rd floor) near Annapolis, MD.

Everyone is quoting me a variable speed air handler but am not sure I should go with this or not.

Was originally looking for a 14 Seer 2 ton Trane heat pump and air handler.

Have had 2 quotes so far.
    One is for a 15 or 16 Seer Trane heat pump and air handler
    The 2nd is a quote on a 15 or 16 Nutone heat pump and air handler.
    Both have 10 year parts and labor warranties but the 16 seer Nutone is less cost than the Trane.

Couple of questions.
    1. Do I go with the variable speed handler or not?
    2. Do I really need a 16 seer vs a 14 or 15.
    3. Any comments on the Nutone?

This is my first time replacing any heating systems and the more I read the more confused I get and you guys seem to be the best source of reliable info!

Thanks for any help!

have no opinion on the nutone, never saw one.

really do like the v drive blowers and so far not 1 with any problems.

customers just cannot believe how quiet they are.

Where is the air handler located. Some condo set ups are not good for VS blowers.

Are any of your registers currently noisy/loud. If so, a VS will most likely be louder.

Ask those companies to do a static test now before you get a VS blower.

I am a fan of VS blowers. But some companies recomend them, and don't check the existing duct system first. And most people aren't happy hearing what it will cost to alter the duct work later.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Variable speed?

Thanks for the quick response!

The air handler is located in a SMALL closet on a shelf above the hot water tank!! From what I hear from neighbors that have replaced their systems, it's a real trip to get a new one in there....some companies refuse to work with this space!

I do some work in a simular condo set up.

I kringe when I get a call from there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by GSM-MD View Post
    2. Do I really need a 16 seer vs a 14 or 15.
    Post the exact model numbers of the heat pump condenser (outside unit) and air handler. Many combinations are "up to" XX SEER, and do not achieve what is actually advertised.

Typically, a 14 SEER system offers the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs. Since you are looking at a heat pump, you want as close to 12 EER and 9 HSPF as you can get, regardless of SEER.

Good luck.

Variable speed?

The 2 units on the quote are

15 Seer Trane 4TWX5018 H/P 4TEE3F31 Variable Speed Air Handler

16 Seer 2 Stage Trane 4TWX6024 H/P 2 Stage 4TEE3F31 Variable Speed Air Handler

A different contractor was telling me yesterday that Trane is discontinuing the 14 Seer.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by GSM-MD View Post
    The 2 units on the quote are

A different contractor was telling me yesterday that Trane is discontinuing the 14 Seer.

Thanks for your help!
    - 1.5 ton system, XL15i
    - ARI# 1382152: 19,000 btu cooling, 13 EER, 15 SEER, 18,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.5 HSPF, 10,600 btu heating at 17F
    - 13 EER is outstanding for low summer operating costs.

- 2 ton system, XL16i
    - ARI# 3187819: 22,800 btu cooling, 12 EER, 16 SEER, 20,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.35 HSPF, 12,100 btu heating at 17F

www.AHRIDirectory.org

Good luck.
    Last edited by gary_g; 10-14-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added AHRI link

Remember that in small spaces, high SEER stuff has a long payback. Unless your rates are outrageous, I'd bet anything more than 13/14 SEER won't pay in the life of the equipment. Payback is a lot faster on a B I G house!

Nutone is premium Nordyne stuff, like Tappan, Friggie, Westie. I'd take it over Trane (actually mine is going in soon) but I'm in the minority. Actually I do like the XL15i, best Trane pump out there in terms of heating capability & HSPF. Unlike the 14i, you should get a modern scroll instead of the old recip.

If you do go Trane, ask about the 4TFE3F25 blower. Meant for such an application as yours, so much easier to install than fighting a 4TEE biggie.

Is this Nutone the same company that makes fart fans and lights and whatnot?

Yes. Nordyne owns Nutone so by using the name on HVAC products, they didn't have to pay a license like they do with most of their other names