Whats a normal cycle period in mild weather

60k btu furnace 2 stage firing on low stage thruout cycle, outside temp 45 degs stat set at 68 with inside temp at 66 how long should it take to get the temp to 69 and shut off ?

What would be considered too lon and too short ?

Too short, less then 4 minutes.
    Too long, more then 18 minutes.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You have two systems in your home. There are too many variables to suggest what would be "normal" for your one furnace.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You have two systems in your home. There are too many variables to suggest what would be "normal" for your one furnace.
    I could swear he has only one furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I could swear he has only one furnace.
    Maybe I'm getting HO's mixed up

A furnace should be sized by doing a load calc/Manual 'J'. If the load calc was done properly, then your furnace is operating as it should, regardless of the time. The time of the on cycle versus the dwell cycle will vary with each new outdoor temperature but also with a delay between the outdoor temp and what the thermostat senses. Why are you worried? Did you take the low-ball price and now have second thoughts? If you used a high end company that knows it's stuff, they did the Manual 'J', installed the proper size unit and you're all set. If however you went price shopping, you get what you pay for, that's all. If it's the latter, you'll know when the OAT drops to a design temperature day and if the furnace is too small, you'll be cold. If it's too big, it's short cycling (should be on 24-hours @ 2nd stage without stopping at design temp) and you wasted money on the purchase of a larger machine and have the anxiety of not knowing if it's properly sized or not. z sure hope it was the former and in that case, rest easy, it's done right!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Yup only one furnace, Robo you aren't taking those drugs you suggested that I take are you

Skipped, I bought the furnace I thought best suited me a Rheem RGRL 2 satge and it was far from the cheapest. I had looked at Carrier, Trane, Bryantt, Ducane, ThermoPride.

3 of the above suggested the 60k btu that I bought, another suggested an 80k but this guy didnt do the load the others did. That said I assume they knew what they were talking about but I was curious as to cycling with outdoor temps mild.

My old oil furnace was 105k and it ran a cycle of about 15-20 mins but it retained alot of heat and the residual would seep up thru floors and ducts .

Just curious, thanks, by the way I never use price as a deciding factor

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    Yup only one furnace, Robo you aren't taking those drugs you suggested that I take are you

Skipped, I bought the furnace I thought best suited me a Rheem RGRL 2 satge and it was far from the cheapest. I had looked at Carrier, Trane, Bryantt, Ducane, ThermoPride.

3 of the above suggested the 60k btu that I bought, another suggested an 80k but this guy didnt do the load the others did. That said I assume they knew what they were talking about but I was curious as to cycling with outdoor temps mild.

My old oil furnace was 105k and it ran a cycle of about 15-20 mins but it retained alot of heat and the residual would seep up thru floors and ducts .

Just curious, thanks, by the way I never use price as a deciding factor
    Yep, got you mixed up with another HO; sorry. As for taking drugs, I can't remember. Could be why I'm such a pleasant, tolerant type of a guy.

As mentioned though, your system sounds fine. As long as it does not cycle off or at least mostly operates during extreme cold days, it is not oversized.