Red face Carrier RTU that bites back

All need to pay attention when pulling sheaves off, especially when they're a little difficult as I just learned the hard way. I normally wear gloves but this particular task was easy. Sheave started coming off easy then stuck, gave a tug and my right hand came in contact with a piece of metal housing razor sharp. Just a little word to the wise. Been cut many times but nothing like this.

No Gloves! Definate safety violation. That stunt would get you a free trip to the dr. and a drug test (not in that order) where I work. Not to mention the following investigation and report sent to the entire company as well as an "opportunity" to share what you did wrong at the next service meeting. I would rather deal with the "bloody pocket"!

Quote Originally Posted by mtntom View Post
    No Gloves! Definate safety violation. That stunt would get you a free trip to the dr. and a drug test (not in that order) where I work. Not to mention the following investigation and report sent to the entire company as well as an "opportunity" to share what you did wrong at the next service meeting. I would rather deal with the "bloody pocket"!
    I dealt with the bloody pocket. Been in this field a long time and should know better, and paid for this accident. But sharing this may prevent someone from the same situation.

The shadowy ozone depleted planet called EARTH
    Accidents happen. We're only human, we're allowed to. Our industry is so busy and mind flustering, that sometimes you aren't going to remember every single little detail for every movement you make on every single job. Everyone makes an error at times. They aren't SUUUUUPERTECH..and untouchable.

Just becareful of the key-way on the shaft bud, when you're sliding the pulley off. If it stops halfway, then just hit it with a little LPS greaseless lubricant or throw a puller on there and crank it until the pulley comes off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by powerup View Post
    All need to pay attention when pulling sheaves off, especially when they're a little difficult as I just learned the hard way. I normally wear gloves but this particular task was easy. Sheave started coming off easy then stuck, gave a tug and my right hand came in contact with a piece of metal housing razor sharp. Just a little word to the wise. Been cut many times but nothing like this.
    Remember to roundly curse the engineer that designed the unit with the sharp edge in the perfect location to nail you.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_scheel View Post
    Remember to roundly curse the engineer that designed the unit with the sharp edge in the perfect location to nail you.
    whocanisue.com lol

Smile

I keep my orthopedic lawyer on speed dial. One stop shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_scheel View Post
    I keep my orthopedic lawyer on speed dial. One stop shopping!
    To darn hardheaded to ever sue anybody. I have always taken the blows and dealt with them. Had a helper at Home Depot help me load some equiptment and I even told him not to let go because my hand was still there, well he dropped it right on my hand and I left a good quarter pint of lifeblood on there floor. Heck it healed up real good and the scar makes for good conversation. And everyone says, and you did'nt sue. Only money I want is what I earn. Stupid? maybe, but I have been riding a pretty good wave all my life.