Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19xrv won't load

Post Likes

19xrv won't load

have a newly installed xrv that will not load above 80 percent , locked drive at 100%, flows are good, tubes are clean, around one degree approach on cooler (at 80%), vanes are calibrated and checked. vanes wide open still only 80 percent load on motor. its still under warranty so it is not really my issue but i am still curious , besides i don't have a lot of faith in the local carrier office most of there techs now work for the same company as me.

Post Likes
    So, does it need to load up more than 80%
    Is there issues with not making setpoint?
    Are vanes actually 100% open?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    have a newly installed xrv that will not load above 80 percent , locked drive at 100%, flows are good, tubes are clean, around one degree approach on cooler (at 80%), vanes are calibrated and checked. vanes wide open still only 80 percent load on motor. its still under warranty so it is not really my issue but i am still curious , besides i don't have a lot of faith in the local carrier office most of there techs now work for the same company as me.
    what is your motor speed, when the motor goes over 42hz the guide vanes go to the full open position I belive the default setting for the max guide vane opening is 80 %. Does the load warrant going to 100#?

Post Likes
    Is it making design tonnage?

Post Likes
    First of all u need to go into the service menu and set your guide vanes to no more than 70%. Was the drive installed on an older xr or did it come with the chiller? Check to make sure that the drive is at 60 HZ and the guide vanes are fully open. If both of these check out then you need to change your CT ratio in the ISM. But you need to make sure that both the guide vanes are all the way open and the motor is at 60 HZ.

Post Likes
    First of all if the machine is under warranty, Carrier should have been called before you mess with the machine. There's nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot a unit that someone else has monkeyed with.
    Second, I don't understand your statement you don't have any faith in the Carrier mechanics because they work for the same company as you. Does this mean you work for Carrier? Does this mean they left Carrier and now work for your company?
    I know one of their mechanics and their field engineer. I have complete faith in both of those individuals.

Post Likes
    not messing with chiller still under warranty just curious if any one ever had this issue to me it seems to be something other than the vanes. maybe wrong imp or something with the motor. i have heard of a machine with the wrong imp before and to answer the question about the mechs from carrier the jumped ship. dont know the mechs from carrier that are still there personally so i should'nt talk about there ability.

Post Likes
    When I worked for Carrier starting up new chillers, I would occasionally come across this same situation. Sometimes not even able to get 70% amperage draw, but still getting required chilled water temperature drop at design flows. You need to make sure you have design conditions on ALL fronts..... Chilled Water flow, chilled water temperatures, condenser water flow, condenser water temperatures. etc. etc. Anything lower than design temperatures and flows will result in less than full load amperage draw.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Post Likes
    I work for carrier and I am telling you that it is a good possibility that somebody needs to adjust the ct ratio. I just started up a chiller that would not show 100% loaded even though the guide vanes were all the way open and the motor at 60 HZ. The problem was the ct ratio and this was not the first.

Post Likes
    Sorry there carriermechanic....don't mean to imply your diagnosis is incorrect. In fact, I agree with it. But as a carrier mechanic myself of 29 years, I think the customer would be better served by having a factory trained rep on site do the diagnosis. The customer paid for a chiller and got a warranty with it. In my mind that means Carrier owes 'em a service visit if the chiller is not running properly.

Post Likes
    I have not been with carrier for 29. I have only been with them for 10. And I 100% agree that he needs to get one of us out there. I am just saying what I think it might be from what I have seen starting up xrv's and installing vfd's on xr chillers. I am just letting people know what I have seen. They can do whatever they wish with that information. It would be nice to have some data as far as a good log of the machine when it is operating. Giving us different temps and load % will help a lot. Let us know what they find.

Post Likes
    the customer asked us to check the machine because they do not trust carrier. who do you know at carrier, Ed?

Post Likes
    Do you want to get this resolved? If so, answer the previous questions. I know when I have a customer with a problem I will do whatever it takes to fix the problem. Why would he call you guys if you guys can't fix the problem? It seems like a waiste of money to me. None of that matters though. Just get me the info and I can tell you what needs to be done. If you don't want to get me this info then there is not much any of us can do to help.

Post Likes
    If it was me I wouldn`t help him out .It`s obvious he doesn`t want any he hasn`t answered the important questions. He want`s info handed to him without doing leg work.

Nice to see you back carriermechanic.

Post Likes
    ent. cond. = 82.3
    lvg. cond. = 91.6
    SDT = 93.1
    delta P = 5 (46 psi in 41 psi out one gauge used 1# increments 0-60 range)

ent. cool. = 54.7
    lvg. cool. = 45.2
    SST = 44.3
    delta P = 5

drive locked @ 60Hz
    amp probe in starter reading = 454amps which is 79.5 amps
    FLA = 571 and screen reads 80% 456amps
    guide vanes where wide open

Post Likes
    Now i was not the mechanic on site that took the readings i had to get them today from him but he is much more experienced then i. and has 18 years with carrier but left about 5 years ago so i trust his readings. he also said that they put an eductor in the skimmer line not sure why that would be needed but they must have had a problem skimming. sorry i for the wait on the readings. im in a rush so i hope i didn't forget anything. o yeah the chw setpoint is 42.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carriermechanic View Post
    I have not been with carrier for 29. I have only been with them for 10. And I 100% agree that he needs to get one of us out there. I am just saying what I think it might be from what I have seen starting up xrv's and installing vfd's on xr chillers. I am just letting people know what I have seen. They can do whatever they wish with that information. It would be nice to have some data as far as a good log of the machine when it is operating. Giving us different temps and load % will help a lot. Let us know what they find.
    It dont matter if you been with Carrier 10 years or not, sometimes its not good to give Carrier advice to somebody else to work on a chiller under warranty. And by the way the extra eductor is for low speed, light load oil recovery.

Post Likes
    this is in the line from the cooler to the vane housing , never heard of one in that location before.

Post Likes
    What are your initials chlorfree??? I am sure we now each other. Anyway, I guess I can't help you DITAW. I know what the problem is. Hopefully your carrier guys can figure it out. Good to see you to goodlistener.

Post Likes
    Interesting train of thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by carriermechanic View Post
    What are your initials chlorfree??? I am sure we now each other. Anyway, I guess I can't help you DITAW. I know what the problem is. Hopefully your carrier guys can figure it out. Good to see you to goodlistener.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in