Disposal of r-22 tank

I threw an empty cylinder into a village dumptster in view of a fire marshall. I received a ticket for dumping. It was an empty 30lb can that held r-22. I told the fire marshall that the can was pumped down and the refrigerant was recovered according to epa standards. He continued to tell me that I dumped hazardous materials because there is still residue in the can.

We are told that in order for the drum to be thrown into the scrap pile,we must first recover the tank to 15 inches Hg and then poke a hole in the tank.
    This is just to put it in the scrap metal.I dont think it would do too well in the landfill.Residue???
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

I knock a hole in mine and sell them to our local scrap meatal dealer as long as i dont bring him a bobtail load.

mike r

It is against EPA regulations to throw it away, unless the remaining refrigerant has been recovered from it, and a hole poked in it.

Once that is done, you can toss it if you want, but why send perfectly good recyclable metal to the land fill?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I like leave a just a small amount of refrigerant in mine and let it sit instide the hot truck all day and take them out to the country with the 12 GA and 30-06. It is illeagal to do that though so I don't.

I always knock a hole in the side with my chisel end of the sheet metal hammer, more often than not throw them away when no recycle bins are nearby. Oh, course after they are empty...

Residue... shoulda cut it open for him and asked him to point at the residue
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Some fire marshals are alot like some building inspectors, there goal in life is to mimic a fly.

Eat shat and bother people

Tell him to go put out a fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I like leave a just a small amount of refrigerant in mine and let it sit instide the hot truck all day and take them out to the country with the 12 GA and 30-06. It is illeagal to do that though so I don't.
    I would never do that either.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here