Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 20
  1. #1

    Rinnai tankless water heater -problem?

    Installed a R75LSi (interior mounted) unit, concentric vent about 18" to terminus (horizontal), 1/4"per ft of slope [down] to heater. I'm not seeing any activity in the integrated condensate drain.? Compared to my furnace where I see quite a bit I wonder if the Rinnai drain is malfuctioning? Where would I check for condensate build-up if it wasn't properly collecting?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,517
    you will not see much if any at all.
    flue temp is higher and untill you get into very cold it may not condensate

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    The problem is they cost too much and are difficult to retro fit.

  4. #4
    Cost too much? Difficult to retrofit?
    The heater was cosmetically damaged in shipping, so I ended up paying ~350$ for it. A great deal I think- as changing from an electric tank heater (at .17cents/kwh) to gas tankless easily cuts my water heating cost in half.
    The condesate collector/drain is integral.

    I see loads of condensate drain from my Trane XV90, the vent is ~7ft, I suppose this is primarily why I see it. (And the lower temp)

    So the higher temp exhaust of the Rinnai just pushes the moisture outside before it has a chance to condense? BTW, the outside air *is* quite cold, down to 25deg last night. I live in Alaska.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hangin out with you losers
    Posts
    1,043
    Monkey
    I assume you installed this tank yourself?
    If I am correct then call a tech out and pay the nonminal fee to inspect
    Most companies have a flat rate start up fee for these things that covers quite a bit

    This will insure your getting the maxium performance from the unit and that you wont have any problems down the line.

    With the great deal you got on that tank it will be a small price to pay for the peace of mind

    No offense to your abilitys but tankless heaters can be tricky and a few adjustments go a long way
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

  6. #6
    Your advice is sound. But what adjustments could actually be checked/made by a tech? If the unit is installed according to the guide, and the unit is functioning properly, why should I spend the ~150$ to find out whether or not I should be seeing condensate when i have a perfectly good forum of pros right here

    I've already voided the warrantee by doing the install myself (I knew this going in), but I figure I have a nice tankless heater installed for about 2000$+ less than what I would have paid to have it professionally installed.



    Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    Monkey
    I assume you installed this tank yourself?
    If I am correct then call a tech out and pay the nonminal fee to inspect
    Most companies have a flat rate start up fee for these things that covers quite a bit

    This will insure your getting the maxium performance from the unit and that you wont have any problems down the line.

    With the great deal you got on that tank it will be a small price to pay for the peace of mind

    No offense to your abilitys but tankless heaters can be tricky and a few adjustments go a long way

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hangin out with you losers
    Posts
    1,043
    Its your house man
    I hope your right and Im wrong
    Good Luck
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

  8. #8
    Thanks. I hope I don't just need luck!

    Seriously though..
    If I install the unit to spec by the manufacturer's guide, and I know the inlet gas pressure, and I know (and have tested) the unit heats water to spec at various flow-rates...

    What else would a tech do but verify what I've already done? While I wouldn't say its throwing money away, I just don't see the need.

    Lack of condensate is what I want feedback about. So far I have one vote that says I shouldn't expect much... anybody disagree?


    Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    Its your house man
    I hope your right and Im wrong
    Good Luck

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Endicott, New York
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tundramonkey View Post
    Installed a R75LSi (interior mounted) unit, concentric vent about 18" to terminus (horizontal), 1/4"per ft of slope [down] to heater. I'm not seeing any activity in the integrated condensate drain.? Compared to my furnace where I see quite a bit I wonder if the Rinnai drain is malfuctioning? Where would I check for condensate build-up if it wasn't properly collecting?
    Check your install instructions if your vent length is under five feet you wont need a drain

    Cassie3

  10. #10
    My instructions say that in a cold climate you should always use the integral condensate drain.
    Page 26 of Rinnai's install guide.


    Quote Originally Posted by cassie3 View Post
    Check your install instructions if your vent length is under five feet you wont need a drain

    Cassie3

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,841
    The biggest impediment to installing any tankless water heater is the need for a bigger gas line. Depending on the heater selected, most are well over 150,000 Btu's and most require at least a 1-inch line to the unit drop. If not properly sized, when the incoming water gets to be winter cold, you're apt to end up with copious amounts of CO coming out the exhaust as the primary air is sucked in and there's insufficient gas to match it. IMO, tankless water heaters are very dangerous if not installed by pros who know all the pitfalls. But hey, it's your neck, not mine.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

    If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

  12. #12
    No problem there. If the install guide is followed, the installer shall confirm that enough gas can get to the unit for operation under maximum input BTU requirements. (taking into account *all* appliance demands, and piping & meter sizing).

    The premise that keeps coming up is that I'm not following the installation guide. Let me assure you that I am.

    Any comments on the lack of condensate... please?



    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    The biggest impediment to installing any tankless water heater is the need for a bigger gas line. Depending on the heater selected, most are well over 150,000 Btu's and most require at least a 1-inch line to the unit drop. If not properly sized, when the incoming water gets to be winter cold, you're apt to end up with copious amounts of CO coming out the exhaust as the primary air is sucked in and there's insufficient gas to match it. IMO, tankless water heaters are very dangerous if not installed by pros who know all the pitfalls. But hey, it's your neck, not mine.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,517
    te vent should be on a down ward slope to the outside if it is short and you wont see any condensate or very little. The temp of the exhaust is to high

    you should also be using thier termination kit and pipe i assume you are and know this.

    if you arent then you do have a potentail danger going on

    you gas pipe needs to be sized for all other appliances and 188,000 btu for your water heater, You also must be running a 3/4 in gas line to it,

    you exhaust is short and horizontal so the drain realy isnt needed but is good to have either way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event