chaterring LLS on WIF

I ran across a small WIF that was only able to get to 20F. Tstat was calling so LLS was open and unit running. Once I got back to the roof the liquid line was making all this chatter. I ran back downstairs. to discover the noise coming from the LLS valve. While energized the coil chattered like heck, stop for a while, then chatter a lil more then stop, etc . Customer said the chattering noise has been happening for sometime off and on.

Can those plungers get 'stuck' inside the valve? (This unit has had multiple surgeries) OR...Is there such a thing as a weak coil? Yes proper voltage was delivered to coil.

I carry a permanent magnet made for forcing open a sporlan LLSV. Its a good way to test if the problem is the valve or the coil. Is the coil a 24v one? If so the transformer may be overloaded at times causing the chatter. If its line voltage and as you say you are reading good power w the coil energized I would buy a new LLSV and coil w the understanding from my supplier that I will return one or the other. Then replace the coil first if that does it great. Else pump it down and change the valve.

Where did you get that magnet? I have seen them before. I want to put it on my christmas list. Boss gives us $250 for christmas. I buy 1 bottle of Wellers and spend the rest on tools.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Quote Originally Posted by kim View Post
    Where did you get that magnet? I have seen them before. I want to put it on my christmas list. Boss gives us $250 for christmas. I buy 1 bottle of Wellers and spend the rest on tools.
    Johnstone supply sells them. I think most sporlan distributers can get them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_scheel View Post
    Johnstone supply sells them. I think most sporlan distributers can get them as well.
    I got mine at CC. Mine is an Emerson I think. Don't use it much but it does come in handy when I need it.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

CPS makes one. I have used it on Sporlan and Danfoss LLS .....works great Cost about $35.00.