Old furnace humidifier.

I bought this house in April and it was built in 1949 and has what looks like close to the original furnace, but nobody can tell.

It's an oil furnace, with a relatively newer carlin burner. Forced air.

It has a humidifier setup that everyone tells me not to use, and it seems that it hasn't been used in a while. It's the old drum tumbler setup.

Is this something I could replace with a newer type of humidfiier? Or is that something that needs to wait until I replace the whole furnace? Furnace has been inspected several times and everyone says the same thing, "it works".

It's starting to get cold and before I get this thing running routinely, I'd like to figure out the humidifier part.

The humidifier is probably filthy, right? Never cleaned, or serviced. They make me sick just to remove that funky stuff. I wouldn't want my air contaminated by whatever mold it is growing. I would either replace it with a drumless type, or remove it completely. If it works and is clean,( few that I've seen ) try it out, but it will require regular cleaning depending on the quality of water you have. Otherwise it will just blow bacteria around.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Have your furnaced serviced, and ask that while the tech is there, he checks if its still usable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If I don't remove it but keep it off, will it still circulate the bad water/bacteria into the air?

Not if there is no water in it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?