economizer low limit

economizer low limit

What is the recommended temperature on the low end, to use the minimum quantity of outdoor air, when controlling with outdoor air dry bulb temperature?

I am not sure what your asking. Why do you care about the low end for the economizer changeover? The lower your setpoint, the less opportunity there is to use the economizer cycle.

The minimum quantity of OA is based on the code requirements at the time the system was designed and has nothing to do with the economiser cycle, but does determine the minimum position of the OA damper. If unsure, I would recommend a 10-15% OA. Remeber, you need to take airflow readings to set this.

If you're using a small tonnage RTU (< 15 TR), I would use a 55*F drybulb changeover temperature for the economiser. For larger sizes, I would look at look at OA enthalpy changeover or integrated differential enthalpy changeover.

Here's some info on the different strategies:

http://www.achrnews.com/Articles/Fea...00f932a8c0____

Per the California Energy Code, the economizer should shut off, and minimum outdoor air should be used at 76 degrees OAT DB and above. The design heating temperature for the area is 30 degrees, and I can't find in the code at what temperature in the winter at which I need to use minimum outdoor air. You would not want to use 100% outdoor air at an outdoor air temp of 30 degrees.

I'll answer my own question. At an outside air temperature of 55 degrees or lower, modulate dampers to maintain a supply air temperature of 55 degrees, for coolilng. For heating, drive outside damper to minimum, close relief damper, and open return damper.

Not sure why I asked the question.

Canada has a code for 15% OA for min pot. OA is set for 55F and mixed air 52F.