Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Trane Model "E" compressor loads/unloads using hydraulic (oil) pressure. The hand hole cover has a plate with it that directs the oil to the various cylinders as needed. The covers can be for electric activation, pneumatic, or plane old suction activation. There is a screw in the cover under a big cap and a spring loaded bellows inside the hand hole to allow for adjustment. The spring can be changed for various pressure ranges (2 choices as I recall). There are many of these units still pumping away and rebuilt ones are available. I doubt there are any new ones left out there since Trane stopped making the Big Iron compressors years ago. But you can rebuild them yourself. You haven't lived unless you have replaced a 100 hp motor in one of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Usually DX [direct expansion] refers to directly cooling the load [air] and chillers cool the intermediate or secondary refrigerant [brine] in most instances.
    Could you explain, because you have me confused?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I've seen stuff with a suction pressure switch for each stage of electric unloaders.

Those "e" series Tranes were tough old birds. Better than the next series, whatever it was, with just electric unloaders.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Could you explain, because you have me confused?
    Explain what you don't understand and I will be glad to clarify my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Usually DX [direct expansion] refers to directly cooling the load [air] and chillers cool the intermediate or secondary refrigerant [brine] in most instances.
    When you talk about load being air why wouldn`t the load be fresh water or even brine? Have seen alot of D/X chiller evaporators.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

From what I remember in College, the definition of Direct Expansion was: The refrigerant evaporator coil was located directly in the [primary?] medium to be cooled; A chiller has the evaporator cooling a secondary medium [actually a refrigerant or brine] which cools the primary medium [or vice-versa] to be cooled [usually air unless it is a process or cascading chiller].
    Otherwise there would be no Direct Expansion definition, everything would be DX?
    If I was not so lazy, I would look it up..instead of relying on memory.
    Clear as mud?

Well I didn`t go to college but I always thought the chiller was the primary " which would be water or brine" and the secondary would be Air handlers or some sort of process load.
    UA 100

Randy;

The mode E compressor had a little brother that was a smaller version (tonnage) the model F. They then started producing the model R (which I think you are reffering to) with another little brother, the mode M. The M's and R's had electric unloading and rounded corners on the heads. If you go back far enough you will find a model A and B. But that is ancient history.

The ones I was remembering were after they quit the compressors with the oil driven suction unloader. I remember finding valve plates in the drier shell on one, and a lot of broken valves all around, while older ones next to it with the old unloader were still grumbling along.

I always though DX in regards to chillers was anything other than flooded evaporator.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

DX

"Randy S.
    I always though DX in regards to chillers was anything other than flooded evaporator. "

My thoughts exactly!!

I have to admit that I was wrong.

I went back to my college manuals and found in the Carrier System Design Manual Part 12, Chapter 2 that it lists isometrics for Direct Expansion Air Conditioning Equipment [Figure 20] and Direct expansion Water Chilling Equipment [Figure 21].

Sorry about the mis-information.....It has been thirty years ago...
    Last edited by JRINJAX; 10-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12