Thread: Walk In

Walk In

We have a walk-in refer that shares a wall with our walk-in freezer. At the base of the wall of the freezer, on the refer side there's a formation of ice that runs the full length of the wall. These walk-ns are set on solid concrete, with ceramic tile flooring. Although i'm not very familiar with walk-ins, I can only guess that there is a warm/room temp air leak somewhere in that joint. My questions are; 1.) What would be the easiest/quickest way to locate the leak, without shutting down either or both of the two boxes? And; 2.) Why would it freeze on the refer side, but not on the freezer side?

Thanks for your input.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

I don't think you have an air leak. That would show up as frost buildup on the freezer side of the wall.

It's more likely that this box doesn't have a thermal breaker strip in the floor between the freezer and the cooler. The ice is forming due to the heat loss to the freezer though the concrete floor resulting in the cooler floor in that area to be below freezing and the dewpoint.

Ice is of course correct.

If it's an old installation, chances are that there is a break, just not sufficient enough, or possibly the tile is not broken, otherwise you would see much worse evidence.

I would be more concerned if it's a new installation. The ice will eventually lift the wall and destroy the integrity of the freezer. The freezer would have to be shut down and taken apart to rework the slab properly.

Lightbulb

Easiest repair to prevent damage to the common wall....

1) install door frame heater along where wall meets floor on the cooler side and cover, wire in heater to run continously.

2) Make sure that the heated bypass vent is working and if one does not exist install one.

All can be ordered from American Panel
    Custom door frame heaters and Vents

Hope this Helps
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Easiest repair to prevent damage to the common wall....

1) install door frame heater along where wall meets floor on the cooler side and cover, wire in heater to run continously.

2) Make sure that the heated bypass vent is working and if one does not exist install one.

All can be ordered from American Panel
    Custom door frame heaters and Vents

Hope this Helps
    I agree. At this point it is the only practical solution.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Ice is of course correct.
    True

He’s almost as perfect as The Wife. Of course no one is as perfect as The wife.