Thread: Trane XE1100 4 ton blows condensers

Post Likes

Question Trane XE1100 4 ton blows capacitors

I live here in hot Sacramento CA. My 16 year old Trane XE 1100 model Seer 11 TTN048SC100AC 4 ton unit blew a 50mfd 440v capacitor last August. Here it is 14 months later and it blew again. My trusted repairman said it is drawing high amperage which is blowing the Capacitor, probably because the compressor is old and going out. I opted to try another capacitor and that solved the problem for the time being. I don't want to have to change out both the Heater and AC at great expense. I could have the compressor replaced. I figure that would give it another 15 years, but wonder if this is wise. Don't know if I can keep a R-22 unit going for 15 more years since the change-over to new refrigerants. I am also afraid if I don't replace the compressor now it won't be available in the future, and then I will definitely be forced to put in new heat and air. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Temsamany; 10-03-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: mistake in title

Post Likes

Hmm Cap

was the 14mo old cap a plastic one?

Post Likes
    Do you really think, you can stretch another fifteen years out of this unit? I don't. But, Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Your unit has lived it's life. It is time to replace it. If you don't have the $$$, then continue replacing the capacitor until the unit goes. Hopefully you can save the money to replace it. Replacing the compressor is a very foolish thing to do on a unit this old. First of all, you won't save much money just replacing the compressor. The compressor costs almost as much as a new unit costs and the labor and time to replace it is more. The sum of the parts of a condenser is probably 4-5 times what a unit costs. On top of this, you will get a 1 year warranty on the compressor and absolutely no warranty on the still old motor, capacitor, contactors, condenser coil, etc... Short term, it is probably cheaper, long term, like more than a year, you WILL lose.

Post Likes

Cap and cost

Thanks for the replies:
    The 14 month old capacitor was metal.
    I was told I would need to replace both the heater and air conditioner with a seer 13 unit. On a scale of cost, the compressor alone would be and replacing everything would be . That's what I'm weighing

Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 10-04-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Post Likes
    You can only do, what your finances allow. A new system is a sure thing, the repair is a gamble.

Post Likes
    Capacitors are cheap and have a very high failure rate, I doubt there is anything wrong with your compressor.

Post Likes
    Well if its built like the old GE's it very well could make it that 30 years. I just changed out a working 31 y.o. GE heat pump this week.

Post Likes
    Has your condenser coil been cleaned lately? Do you know what your head pressure is while running? A dirty coil is a common cause for failing capacitors.

Post Likes
    Most of the time over the years when I see a capacitor blow there are several obvious reasons
    1. Loose connections or a bad contactor causing low voltage to the load.
    2. Wrong size capacitor
    3. Power spikes after a storm
    4. Cruddy voltage supply from the provider. You measure voltage drops
    during peak periods of the day.

Post Likes

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rlattime3 View Post
    Has your condenser coil been cleaned lately? Do you know what your head pressure is while running? A dirty coil is a common cause for failing capacitors.
    proper maintenance and service is required,especially on a 16 yr old system. call the guy who keeps changing caps and ask him if he has done any cleaning on the system.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes

My favorite answer to my question

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Capacitors are cheap and have a very high failure rate, I doubt there is anything wrong with your compressor.
    Thanks,
    I like this answer the best!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in