Trane chiller Hx relocation?

i have this client who has a 600 sq ft house with a 750000 btus copper fin boiler combined with a 15 ton air cooled Trane chiller (CGA series). There 22 radiators with blowers and drain pans throughout the house. Every year i have to winterize this chiller by purging the heat exchanger with nitrogen. So every year i remove the water in the chiller piping and
    HX and i refill the system the next summer when i shut off the boiler... I want to relocate the HX inside the building (appprox 20 ft of refrigerant piping) near the boiler . Can it cause a problem?? is it better to go with glycol.? Temps in winter can be as low as -40 F
    Learn as if you were to live together and live as if you were to die tomorrow. -Gandhi

I wouldn't relocate it. What's the big deal with draining it every year? Easy money if you ask me. We do it on commercial units all the time adding glycol is fine but if it shares a common loop with your b oiler system the concentration you will need to provide adequate freeze protection will reduce your boiler efficiency quite a bit. Good luck.

the chiller has power up during the winter for the CCHs...how about wrapping the barrel with some low resistance heat tape like they do on towers lines that run in the winter.the nitro is doing the job as long as you do the drain plugs on the lowest point of the lines just outside the chiller.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    I wouldn't relocate it. What's the big deal with draining it every year? Easy money if you ask me. We do it on commercial units all the time adding glycol is fine but if it shares a common loop with your b oiler system the concentration you will need to provide adequate freeze protection will reduce your boiler efficiency quite a bit. Good luck.
    do you think changing the water can damage black iron pipes of my system
    ?
    Learn as if you were to live together and live as if you were to die tomorrow. -Gandhi

[QUOTE=refmet;2006143]do you think changing the water can damage black iron pipes of my system
    ?[/QUOTe

Yes in a sense when you drain a system down you have air in a likely partially wet system so it can corrode your pipes quicker. However stagnent water with no chemical treatment is a problem too. I am no water treatment expert by any stretch but to me draining your system and adding a chemical program at start up is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by refmet View Post
    I want to relocate the HX inside the building (appprox 20 ft of refrigerant piping) near the boiler . Can it cause a problem??
    It is very poor practice, it may be a code violation, to put refrigeration equipment in a room that also contains fuel burning appliances, unless the appliance has sealed combustion or you interlock the boiler's operation with a refrigerant monitoring panel. Refer to ASHRAE Standard 15 for more detailed info.

The problem I see in a remote location would be refrigerant migration with no water flow causing the evap to freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by jemawalton View Post
    The problem I see in a remote location would be refrigerant migration with no water flow causing the evap to freeze.
    with no water flow?? I have only one pump and it is always on in order for the zoning system to work...can you elaborate pls

Quote Originally Posted by jemawalton View Post
    Ive only heard of this happening on Trane RTAC's. Something to do with the falling film evap. I dont totally buy the refrigerant migration theory the factory gives.