adding a new refrigeration circuit to an existing rack

Hi everybody:

I need to add a new refrigeration circuit to an existing rack. The suction and liquid manifolds are made of 10 cm and 7 cm OD copper pipe. I feel confident at doing all the isolation, shutting off and recovery job prior to the actual openning of the manifolds. What Iīm not too secure about is on how to perform the actual punching of the copper pipes, without having too much debris entering the system. Any word of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by friocold2008 View Post
    Hi everybody:

I need to add a new refrigeration circuit to an existing rack. The suction and liquid manifolds are made of 10 cm and 7 cm OD copper pipe. I feel confident at doing all the isolation, shutting off and recovery job prior to the actual openning of the manifolds. What Iīm not too secure about is on how to perform the actual punching of the copper pipes, without having too much debris entering the system. Any word of advice?
    Try to locate someone that has done this before to help you onsite?

I always use my pocket laser with my suction cup adapter. works every time

You can make a larger hole than you might need for your lines so that you can get into the manifold w something to clean out the filings. Then braze a copper reducing bushing into the hole.

ive used a Uni-bit on a drill and i have used a hole saw blade. clean out your remains. I do not know of a nice clean way that leaves no debris.

Phase Loss ive used a Uni-bit on a drill and i have used a hole saw blade. clean out your remains. I do not know of a nice clean way that leaves no debris.

If your going to attempt this. Hole saw a tight fit....carfully remove copper inside hole saw. Sand or file burr use a knife too remove the burr inside the pipe, then use a piece of silfos and duct tape, reverse the tape on the end of the silfos and pick up the fileings inside the pipe useing your mag light to inspect. Liquid line debris is more of an issue than suction. Start the rack and run 30 mins. Shut down and change suction filters. Unibit will create a disaster inside the header, particals flying a good distance from the hole, slow speed drilling with a hole saw will leave the debris fairly close to the entry point. Don't rush and clean out liquid header as this may effect liquid line solinoid operation in the future. Good luck.

I just hate it when debris are not cleaned out well. I just had to replace a CDS 9( EEPR)valve because it was full of copper shavings.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I normally use a shop vac with a 1/2 clear tube. This way you get the gratification off watching all the shavings come out of the header and the vacuum gets a nice POE lube job.

I've used a shop vac and a piece of tube taped to the end of the hose as well. It works pretty good but I use the shop's shop-vac and not my own...POE inside out. I use a Uni-bit also, but I go slowly with it as to not throw shavings around the header. Plan what you need to do and get everything ready to go so that you aren't rushing through it.

Yes, I still remember what happened to the 1st shop vac we used. Do you?

LOL...I didn't know it was GR's when I grabbed it from the shop. That's why I used the "shop's" vac the next time...ROFL! Btw shouldn't you be working right now?

Just see if you rent or borrow a t-puller from a pipefitting company like hussmann and do it the right way.

I bought a t-puller set for the company on my last job. Works great but still fills the header with shavings using the supplied stepper drill bit.