Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the flame pattern from my furnace burner normal?

Last night I started up my furnace for the first time this season and went through some routine checks to ensure everything is working properly (using the owner’s manual as my guide). I found two items that concerned me. I have a 9 year old Bryant 80% mid efficiency natural gas furnace.

The first is the shape of the flame coming out of the burner (see image burner_flame.jpg). In the installation and owner’s manuals, the flame is shown to come out of the 4 burner tubes. It looks to me as if the burner is leaking because the flame not only comes out of the 4 burner tubes but also between the tubes as can be seen in the photo. I can’t remember if the flame was the same last year or not. Is this normal or does the burner need replacing?

The second item is the rust spot that I pointed out in the photo rust.jpg. It is on the bracket that holds the burner in place. There is a similar rust spot on the bracket on the other side. I believe this is due to the flame not coming out of the burner properly because part of the flame hits the bracket exactly where the rust is forming. This makes me believe the flame was coming out of the burner the same way for at least part of last year.

Can anyone give me an opinion if this is normal or if I need to get someone to replace the burner for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pay a technician that knows to look it over.Can't help you from here

The w.c. should be checked . A bunch of things harry homeowner does'nt know how or have the tools to do.

its time for preventative maitenance that should be done annually. have a tech come out and take a look, ask him to check pressure in and readjust as needed. This is NOT a job for harry homeowner.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Yep.......like they all said! You need a pro to check it out!

Thanks for the comments so far.

I wasn’t looking to fix this myself. It didn’t look right to me so I wanted to get an idea of if this looks right or not to others with more knowledge than I have and maybe some ideas of what might be wrong. This will allow me to communicate better with the technician that will be called to do any necessary work.

It sounds like it may have to do with the gas pressure from the initial responses. I imagine the tech will be able to make adjustments from the regulator? My initial impression was that the burner required replacing, but I obviously do not know enough about furnaces to make the call…. just enough knowledge to possibly determine if something is right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by john_ertw View Post
    My initial impression was that the burner required replacing, but I obviously do not know enough about furnaces to make the call…. just enough knowledge to possibly determine if something is right or not.
    That's why you search for a company that values competent technicians, and you retain that company to check your furnace and a/c system each season. Once you have that in hand, you don't have to sweat the niggling details about flame patterns, etc. That's what you pay competence for.

Believe it or not, such companies exist. Not everyone out there is a shame to our trade. You may have to do a bit of weeding, but once you find a good one, reward them with customer loyalty.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    That's why you search for a company that values competent technicians, and you retain that company to check your furnace and a/c system each season. Once you have that in hand, you don't have to sweat the niggling details about flame patterns, etc. That's what you pay competence for.

Believe it or not, such companies exist. Not everyone out there is a shame to our trade. You may have to do a bit of weeding, but once you find a good one, reward them with customer loyalty.
    You touched on a big point for me. My experience has been that you can probably find 10 contractors who don't care and don't put much effort in the work they do for every good contractor. Unfortunately it's not that easy to weed them out except through trying them out (and wasting hard earned money). Lots of sweet talkers and companies who charge a premium and promise better service, but do not deliver. I guess that's why I and many other homeowners have turned to forums like this (and not only for HVAC, but any work such as vehicle maintenance). It is actually very sad.

I really appreaciate the advise and opinions of the professionals here who actually care about providing good service!

Hey! M cooling !

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    The w.c. should be checked . A bunch of things harry homeowner does'nt know how or have the tools to do.
    How's your "CROSSOVER" doing?

You are using the owners manual like an insruction and trouble shooting guide.

You can't do that. The info you are reading are just general guide lines. If you have any problems you need a pro.

I empathize with your statistical inability to locate what you consider to be a good contractor.

Good contractors are around but they are either too busy to help or not taking new customers.

after looking at the photo of the burners burning, i would recommend having the system serviced

with gas heat, we just can't give you any info

due to the fact that if you make a couple of incorrect moves, there could be explosions involved

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    How's your "CROSSOVER" doing?
    I fix some things myself too, but when it comes to gas furnaces,appliances don't even consider doing anything to it without training.

As others said, its time for some routine maintaince to be done.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast