FIRST TRY!! Smoking country ribs.

Ok, I bought my first smoker (used) and it is a propane Great Outdoor smoker. I know, I know you all like "the other style" but the price was right and I want to try it and see if I like it first before building my own (pictures to follow hopefully).

I purchased some smoking wood, specifically Jack Daniels chips and a full bottle of propane but would like to know how how long to cook the crazy things!

I know from reading here that around 225* is best but what do you put into the water pan other than water...anything? I have a rub I am going to use but again, how long should I smoke them, or better yet - how will I know they are done?

Any help you can provide for tomorrow is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

The water pans job is to control temperature and add moisture. You can add fresh herbs if you like. I have limited experience with water smokers but I did use water in my big smoker occasionally. The key to smoking is of course low and slow. 225-250 degrees F is a good temp. cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees F, pull them off, cover with foil and let them set for about 20 minutes. Be sure to keep the pan full.

You can always fill the pan with beer

When I smoke ribs it is usually a 4-6 hour job.

You will know it is done when the meat is falling off the bone.

HOLD ON THERE CITYWIDE !!!!!!

I did my first ribs back in July. Like you I didn't know how to do them so I posted on this forum. Here is the link.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....baby+back+ribs

I followed mattm's recipe and added the beer like Key said. They came out fantastico ! I'm an expert NOW!!!
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 10-01-2008 at 09:00 PM.

I think we're talking about two different things here, grilling babybacks, and smoking country style ribs. When smoking meat, bbq sauce is a condiment to be served on the side. Of course I also come from the cult of, "anything but wood and it aint no good".