Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this trade

thanks guys for all the positive posts. ya,i am proud that he wants to follow in my footsteps but you know when your a parent you want your kids to have a better life(not being on roofs in allthe weather we get to enjoy).

he is mechanicaly inclined as we are restoring an antique motorcycle together.

thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    they sell a TRE (timing retard eliminator) that disables the governor!

i cant do anything to void the warranty

Second generation here. My dad is now a retired fitter with probably 40 years in the trade. I now have 14 years in and don't often look back. At 33 years old, I make a good wage and have very little to fear in these uncertain economic times.

On the other hand, one of our other journeymen got his son into the union about 4 years ago. He put 4 years into the apprenticeship and was well on his way to a successful career. Something went wrong, he went on a bender and decided that R/HVAC is not for him and dropped out completely.

As I understand it, he is happily crushing cars at a scrap yard, now. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I tell you what I would encourage him you know he will always make a good living. And I know this is true in my area there is no youngblood coming into the industry like it was when I started. I mean look at the average age of the techs anywhere It seems a lot higher than it used to be. I have no regrets about being in this business.

I will tell you something i"m only 23 years old and i started in this field when i was 19 its been rewarding for me because i absoutly love working with my hands and also love a challenge, i was fortunenate spelling to get in with a awesome company where i look foward from day to day to go to work, yes i am young but i do know a great deal been working on big units ranging from 5 tons to 300 tons of cooling from rtu to chillers. I absoultly love chillers hehe but my father is a electrican, i was gonna follow but i wanted more of a challenge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12