Victor Superrange II or Uniweld Hot Stuff

Victor Superrange II or Uniweld Hot Stuff

Its between these two kits. Victor Superrange II or Uniweld Hot stuff HS-MDU.

Both kits have built in check valves and FLashback arrestors.

The only thing that is holding me back from the Superrange II is that the Uniweld CAP'N Hook tip will not work on the victor torch.

Has anyone here have experience with either of these kits or vendors?

I know Victor is the first choice for most here.

Thanks

I personally wouldn't base my choice on that stupid captain hook tip. Honestly, it's not really all that handy for 99% of the brazing you'll use it for.

Back in the days of welding I was sold on Victor, and if I have any choice in the matter, I'll always own and use a victor torch/welding kit.

The last 2 places I've worked had uniweld (sold at supply houses, and they'd rather buy their welding stuff from a supply house than a welding shop ). Can't say it's a bad rig though, it's always performed and done as good of a job as the guy running it can allow it to do
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I decided to get the superrange II. Its from EBAY but this person ships it directly from Oxygen Air in Indianapolis.

I told him the 25 feet of hose might be too much for a small OX-20 and AC-MC tank.

I made it clear to him I needed it for light duty work mostly HVAC.

Apparently it did not hit him till later this weekend that the superrange II is more for medium to heavy duty work. Also the regulator fittings will not directly fasten into the tank without an adapter.

He said I could buy the adapters. I figured why bother with all that when I will probably never hoof up the superrange II into larger tanks for which is was mean for in the first place.

So I caught him in time before he shipped it out. He suggested the Victor CutSkill.

He said it is for lite duty work. Only comes with 2 tips.

0 Cutting Tip
    2 Welding nozzle (2-UM)-1
    12.5 feet of hose rather than the 25 feet.

And instead of the FC100 handle that comes with the superange II the CutSkill comes with the "Victor genuine handle # WH270FC-V with built in flashback arrestors & check valves"

Is this an Ok setup for HVAC work? Will I need a different tip for brazing and soldering?

Sorry to bother you on this.

Here is the ink to the kit he wants to replace it with. This Kit also comes with the tote.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-CUTSKILL-...62?refid=store

A small rose bud would be nice.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I agree. But I was told that there will be a problem using the RoseBud Tip with the MC-AC tank. I was told it will suck out the acetone and contaminate the regulators.

This is only a concern for the MC-AC tank. Why I have no idea?

I would like to get that Cutskill. What is holding me back is the Handle. I prefer to get the standard 100FC handle and this outfit comes with the "WH270FC-V".

This is also made in a victor plant outside of the US. Not China but more like Mexico.

Does anyone have this particular model?

EDITED:

I edited this post to add a few more details and to mention how close I am to a decision.

I think I am just going to go with the Superrange II 0384-0822. It has the rosebud tip. If I ever upgrade to a larger Acetylene tank I can use that tip. I hat the 25 feet of hose though. This kit also has the 510 adapter included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-SUPERRANG...m350107031334&
    _trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A4|65%3A12|240% 3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I will just buy this adapter. He is throwing in the shipping charge. It will adapt an AC-MC tank to CGI-300 fitting which is the fitting the regulator has in this kit.

I already have a Prestolite Kangaroo Tote which should work as good as any Victor tote.

Any Comments welcome!!
    Last edited by havactech; 10-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.

I changed my mind again. The Superrange II welding tips are all wrong for the AC-MC Tanks.

I called Victor Tech Support and they told me the running times will be too short and I will pull in acetone with the welding nozzle and cutting tip in that superrange kit.

All I wanted out of that kit was the regulators and 100FC handle. Not the 25 foot hose either.

I decided to go with a Victor PortaTorch. 1) it comes with the 100FC handle. 2) Its has the better grade regulator over the ones I mentioned already except for the superrange ones, 3) Its made in America. 4) It has a 5 year warranty and 5) its a step up from the CutSkill and TurboTorch kits. Even though the handles in those kits use the same tips as the 100FC, I rather have the 100FC handle.

Kit number:

0384-0935

Got it for $320 which included shipping from Ebay. I will get a non EBay receipt with the Company's name on it. They are an authorized dealer.

CONS:

It comes with the 1-W-1 tip. I will be buying a 1-W-0 tip which is good for 1/4 to 1 inch pipe and it will be 4 cubic foot draw max/hour versus the 1-W-1 tip which will put out 6 cubic feet max/hour. About 4 minutes total time I will get put of that 1-W-1 tip. The 1-W-1 is good for 1/4 to 1 1/4 inch pipe.

Since most residential I have seen so far use 1 inch or less I figured the 1-W-0 tip should do the work for now

1-W-00 will work for 1/8 to 3/4 inch pipe and that could work to but I think most suction copper is no less than 3/4 or 7/8 correct? With the 1-W-00 I will get almost 20 minutes total time from the MC-AC Tank

I was told that you have to calculate how much the tank SAFE WITHDRAW is. You take the total Cubic feet times 1/7. If I got this correct, 1/7 is the space that is occupied by the acetone. That will give a 1.4 cubic foot/hour SAFE WITHDRAW.

From there you can calculate about how much time you have left on the tank by using the TIP information Draw Rate.

With the 1-W-0 I will get approx. 15 minutes total time and have enough ranges for the different OD Copper pipes.

I have to time myself each time I use the tank and recalculate the total amount of the Acetylene left in the tank times 1/7 again to figure out what the SAFE WITHDRAW will be the next time I use it.

That will be difficult to associate time with the amount of AC left won't it?

This is all crazy. Do any of you watch your tanks and time this way to calculate the SAFE WITHDRAW?

I may have to go up a tank size to the B Tank. That MC-AC is only good for possibly brazing after putting in a new filter at most before the tank will need another fill right?

To put together a residential split from scratch I would think you would need minimum a B tank. And I don't know what size Oxygen would be needed? Whatever is the next size above 20 Cubic Feet.

Then I have to get a 520 to 200 CGA adapter for the B tank. No idea what adapter I will need for the larger oxygen tank.

I will also have to get a steel cart. Its all getting a bit expensive but I will deal with it

EDITED:

Reason, I found out that the step above the OX-20 is the 40 Cubic Foot and it uses the same CGA 540 connection as the OX-20
    Last edited by havactech; 10-14-2008 at 01:02 AM.

In the long run you probably won't save a dime , buying off E-Bay. I've used those adapters and didn't really like the way the regulators sat on the tanks. Go to you local welding supply, and let them fix you up. FWIW, I like the Uniweld brand. No real reason, just habit I guess.

It is off EBay, but its an actually Local Distributor in my town.

They drop ship from ThermaDyne (Victor).

How do you deal with the Safe WithDraw Rate on your UniWeld?

DO you have the AC MC or B tank? Same with Oxygen the 20 or 40?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by havactech View Post
    It is off EBay, but its an actually Local Distributor in my town.

They drop ship from ThermaDyne (Victor).

How do you deal with the Safe WithDraw Rate on your UniWeld?

DO you have the AC MC or B tank? Same with Oxygen the 20 or 40?

Thanks
    MC,20,and I have no idea, what Safe WithDraw is. My set has to be close to ten years old. Just be sure to turn your tanks off, bleed the pressure off the regulators, and don't leave adjustment pressure on the diaphrams. They could last another ten years, who knows?

I would definitely go for the Superrange II because it has a much better check valves. Its safer and the flash arrestors are better. You wont save that much money over the long run buying off of eBay. And how do you know for sure that isn't going to cause you any problems. And don't make a decision on the uniweld cap and hook doesn't work on a victor torch its honesty its not that useful. So choose wisely