Thread: Newbie needs advice on an air purification system

Post Likes

Newbie needs advice on an air purification system

Hi there, hopefully someone will be kind enough to help me out. I'll be installing (not personally) two (2) Lennox 2.5ton has fired split systems 14seer AC & 80%AFUE furnace. I'm requesting to use a MERV filter because we have a ton of dust and have been told it may help a little and it's easier than replacing the ceiling filters all the time. My wife and I want to install an air purification system. I did some research and it looks like Lennox has a PureAir system that works well, however, when I called our tech, he advised against it, and wants to install a REME Air Knight by Top Tech. Thoughts on this? It just seems odd that we would go with a Lennox system, but use a Carrier based Reme Air knight.

Also, we have two units, one for upstairs and one for down, the home is approximately 2500sq feet. The tech stated we would only need to install the purification system in the upstairs unit, and that it would be pointless to install it in both. Thoughts? I'm about to pull the trigger on this, but needed some input before I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Tell us about your fresh air ventilation system that provides a fresh air change in 4-5 hours. This suggest by most IAQ experts as a basic before all else.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Tell us about your fresh air ventilation system that provides a fresh air change in 4-5 hours. This suggest by most IAQ experts as a basic before all else.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Teddy, I don't have one yet, which was why I was asking.

Post Likes
    Improving indoor air quality starts with a minimum of large merv 9 air filter for the your air handler. The intention is to keep the equipment clean functional.
    Maintaining 35%-55% RH in the living space to control biologicals like mold, bacteria, and dust mites. Comfort is also an issue.
    Fresh air naturally infiltrates a home and purges indoor pollutants and renews oxygen. Building codes has air tighten up the modern homes to the point that they barely get the needed fresh air change in 4-5 days on windy days. In calm winds and hot temperatures, well built homes get an air change in +12 hours. Pollutant levels can be high with all the materials we have in a modern home.
    Most modern codes are suggest that we have a mechanical filtered fresh air change in 4-5 hours at minimum when occupied.
    These are the basics of indoor air quality. After this, add anything that some one can sell you. Do not add devices that pollute the air by ionization or adding other unnatural materials.
    Green grass climates generally need supplemental dehumidification to maintain <55%RH during evenings and rainy weather. Most manufactures are now offering a whole house dehumidifier with a fresh air option to provide fresh filtered air and assist the a/c in keeping the home dry.
    Cold climates may need humidification to prevent uncomfortable dryness.
    Keep us posted on how you feel about these points and your progress for health and comfort.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Not sure about the filter system, but was a heat load done before you decided on 5 tons of a/c in 2500 sq. ft. house.

How old is the house? Insulation? Windows?
    Where is it located?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Not sure about the filter system, but was a heat load done before you decided on 5 tons of a/c in 2500 sq. ft. house.

How old is the house? Insulation? Windows?
    Where is it located?
    We are in North Carolina, and the house may be more like 2700sq feet. We have an upstairs unit and a downstairs unit that both work independently. @Teddy, I understand that you don't recommend using the ionizer to put more pollutants into the home, but from everything I've read, it's what kills mold spored, bacteria, and many others. Our kids have really bad allergies, we have a serious pollen and dust problem here. During the summers, the temp reaches high 90's for weeks at a time, and winters get into the teens for a few weeks but it generally stays between 20 - 25 degrees.

I'm basically just trying to figure out why they would want to use a Air Knight Px5 now, versus the Lennox PureAir. I do know that he said the Air Knight will make the house smell differently, because it is killing odors, etc. I've got him coming back out this morning so I can ask more questions.

Post Likes
    Ok, I give up.
    Keeping the home dry will kill all of the above, except the kids. Adding filtered fresh air will make the place smell like good air. But if you insist.
    Let us know how this turns out.

Regards Teddy Bear

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in