Summit comm problem!

Here goes! (Chiller tech on BAS speaking)
    1.customers computer crashes.
    2 cust. gets new comp. finds old backup and downloads on new computer.
    3. will not comm to BCU
    4. reset BCU & loose comm from BCU to everything.
    5. Jack around till midnight trying different things, changed all address at each device and changed back then they started talking. (heck, lets just paint the plastic covers green and see if that works) No offence but you guys must all be on crack to work on this stuff because I know you cant use logic or reason

6. after screwball repair, download service patch that is on my laptop (mine does talk to BCU)to customers computer. customer comp will talk for an instant on start up then comm is gone again!

I did have a crack head Tracer guy with 20 years exp helping but he is lost now. any adeas? Maybee turn the UPCMs upside down or some crazy crap like that???

Do you get any error messages from Summit when you try to connect with the customers laptop?

Did the customer install Summit on the new computer themselves? How did they go about restoring the database and how old was the database that they found? You only really need a database backup if you lose the PC and the BCU. I have a feeling that you guys corrupted the database.

BTW- In my opinion you changing addresses of the equipment probably did nothing and was purely coincidence that comm restored after that. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by mallron; 09-27-2008 at 09:11 PM.

What is the connection between workstation and BCU?

Arcnet, dedicated ethernet or BACNet IP?

Guessing dedicated ethernet, although it is not usually necessary, you can remove all of the items in the properties tab of the network card. If there is some other windows crapware program trying to get control of the ethernet port, this should help.

Couple of questions

1) What version and service pack of summit are you using.
    2) What type of BCU do you have BMTX, BMTX, BMTS?
    3) IF BCU IS LOADED AND IS A BMTX OR BMTW DO YOU HAVE DANCING DASHES UPON YOUR LOAD OR ARE YOU GETTING SOMETHING ELSE?
    4) What sort of comm buses are you using?
    5) Does the computer have the same site configuration loaded as what is on the BMS?
    6) Have you verified that the comm buses do communicate back the BCU using Rover?